• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Level Zero

Yaarel

He-Mage
The playtest is evolving a nice "Level Zero".

Level Zero means, everything a character gains BEFORE gaining levels in a class.

In light of the playtest:

Level Zero Features
• Species
• Abilities
• Background

The Background includes both Ability Score Improvements and Background Feat.

If players are interested in playing a character that is a young adult, approximately age 16 to 19, the Level Zero Features are perfect.

Further considerations:

The Species grants hit points. Currently, the class grants max hit points Level 1. Alternatively, the game can have, for example, Elf grants 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution hit points, and then when gaining a level 1 in a class, Druid grants an additional 1d8 (or 5) + Constitution hit points.

Size (Species): Hit Points
Small (Gnome, Halfling, Human): 1d6 (or 4)
Medium (Dwarf, Elf, Human, Tiefling): 1d8 (or 5)
Powerful Build (Dragonborn, Dwarf?, Human?, Orc): 1d10 (or 6)
Large (Orc?): 1d12 (or 7)

Background proficiencies can grant: All Simple Weapons, One Martial Weapon, or One Cantrip.

Note, classes tend to be frontloaded, with an abundance of features all available at level 1 to flesh out a comprehensive concept. It is possible to divide level 1 into two even three levels. Nevertheless, what the Species, Abilities, and Background already supply according to the playtest, plus simple ways to grant hit points (species) and a favored combat style (background), makes a solid, playable, level zero character.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
The background feat grants features. The species grants traits. If spending a proficiency, a cantrip is a possible choice.

These level zero characters are substantial.
They really aren't, unless you're one of those folks who looks at a first-level character and thinks "my god, how could anyone keep track of all that," in a game where other editions' 1st level has been pushed up to 3rd or even 5th level.

Perhaps a better approach here would be for you to show us, say, three (or more) examples of what you see as great "zero-level" characters. Because just the bald assertion--even with references like "background feat grants features"--falls incredibly flat for me. To my eyes, even the playtest stuff (which is better than existing 5e...not that that's a difficult bar to clear...) is to actually good zero-level rules what the Eldritch Knight is to the Wizard, a weak and not especially effective dabbling.

Horwath

Legend
The background feat grants features. The species grants traits. If spending a proficiency, a cantrip is a possible choice.

These level zero characters are substantial.
sure, but now every character has to be astral elf with magic initiate feat so you can have something interesting.

There is a reason that most campaigns in 5E start at 3rd level minimum.

Yaarel

He-Mage
They really aren't, unless you're one of those folks who looks at a first-level character and thinks "my god, how could anyone keep track of all that," in a game where other editions' 1st level has been pushed up to 3rd or even 5th level.

Perhaps a better approach here would be for you to show us, say, three (or more) examples of what you see as great "zero-level" characters. Because just the bald assertion--even with references like "background feat grants features"--falls incredibly flat for me. To my eyes, even the playtest stuff (which is better than existing 5e...not that that's a difficult bar to clear...) is to actually good zero-level rules what the Eldritch Knight is to the Wizard, a weak and not especially effective dabbling.
Some players get into level zero characters. Mechanically some like the zero to hero. Narratively some like to live out the background origins, for a sense of where the character comes from.

Level zero is for players who want to opt-in.

Give me an example of level 0 character concept − maybe an adolescent with a talent for magic or a farm kid who wants to be a knight − and I will try to build you this character.

Yaarel

He-Mage
sure, but now every character has to be astral elf with magic initiate feat so you can have something interesting.

There is a reason that most campaigns in 5E start at 3rd level minimum.
Even a normal Human has a choice of free feat. Plenty of interesting options at level zero.

Horwath

Legend
Note, classes tend to be frontloaded, with an abundance of features all available at level 1 to flesh out a comprehensive concept. It is possible to divide level 1 into two even three levels.
I'm soory, but 1st level really does NOT have any abundance of features,
If 1st level characters had features of 3rd or 4th level characters, I would agree with you.
But amount of 1st level features is really light.

Even if background gives 3 instead of 1 feats as it stands for 2024, it would not be too much.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

The only time I have ever liked level 0 characters, and even then only rarely, is when we were roleplaying and going through training and would be 1st level in our class when the training(a session or three) was done. A bunch of RP, maybe a fist fight or grabbing the grasshopper from the master's hand, and then off to the races at level 1. Or even preferably level 3. Level 3 is the new level 1.

Remove ads