• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Brawler is out. What subclass should replace it?

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?

• Arcane Archer

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Cavalier

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Echo Knight

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Psi Warrior

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.1%

Remathilis

Legend
I don't see any inherent issues with the Samurai or Cavalier that would require a major rework.

They need to rename Samurai to something culturally neutral, and tweak some numbers. But nothing fundamental change to how they play.
I didn't say major reworking (except for PDK) but yes, I was referring mostly to name/flavor text of both.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Was there an announcement they're not taking another stab at the Brawler?
Yup, video interview.with Crawford and Perkins this morning: the Brawler is out, but the Fighter is otherwise done with UA and headed straigjt.to the PHB. The next UA will have three Classes (Monk, Druid and Barbaria) that need some input and one Subclass each (Open Hand, Moon, and World Tree). The other 9 Classes and other 3 Subclasses for that set of Classes are all done in UA and getting prepped for the PHB.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
How would that be different from the Champion?
It requires some thought.

The Champion just attacks. And if you roll a 19 or20, you crit.

The Brute employs an extra damage die. One you'd have to keep track of.
I'd nerf Brute Force to once per turn but start it at 1d6. Keep that same Brute die for Brutish Durability.
Change Additional Fighting Style and Survivor.

The Brute can function as the "no choices all brawn" fighter counterpart of the magical EK.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't see a need for a UA to do that.

I do agree PDK would need a UA. But it's possible they will add it to the upcoming one. Slim, but possible.
They already said they wouldn't. Whatever they are doing for the 4th Fighter Subclass, it won't get UA attention. Which based on wjat we have seen in other instances, almost certainly means Eune Knight or Pai Knoght, since they went through UA with the current standards already for Tasha's.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I feel these statements contradict each other.

Both just attack, with no choices all brawn. Neither requires thought.
The brute requires tracking the die. You have to remember to add your Brute die to damage and saving.

In addition,the Brute is so simple that you can add it without UA.

You could make the Brute more complex. WOTC could make the Brute die once per turn or 10 time per long rest or 3 times per short rest. It's just math.

WOTC doesn't need a UA to test it as it doesn't break new ground. It's just math and they have data from BM, EK, and Champion to know how strong players and DMs want Fighter to be.

mellored

Legend
The brute requires tracking the die. You have to remember to add your Brute die to damage and saving.
I mean... not sure that's more complicated than remembering that 19 is a crit and what you do when you crit.
But ok.

Still doesn't make it different from the Champion.

I mean, either one would be fine. But we definitely don't need 2 simple fighters.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads