• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Brawler is out. What subclass should replace it?

What should he the 4th fighter subclass?

• Arcane Archer

Votes: 10 9.1%
  • Cavalier

Votes: 20 18.2%
  • Echo Knight

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • Psi Warrior

Votes: 19 17.3%
  • Purple Dragon Knight

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • Rune Knight

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • Samurai

Votes: 9 8.2%
  • Other

Votes: 10 9.1%

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It was better. I believe that it was thrown out for "stepping on the toes of Barbarians and Champion Fighters", though.
No, it was not.bettee. Mearls went over this in one of the Happy Fun Hour episodes, theybhad strict math showing thst it was the exact same power Level as a Champion. But it failed because enough people perceived it to be more powerful. And if people dislike something mechanically sound because of a perception the D&D team is willing to let it go to pasture.

Remathilis

Legend
Well since they seem to be doing 2 pairs of opposites.

Assuming Champion <-> Battlemaster.
Then Eldritch Knight <-> Spellbreaker.

Get the ability to dispel magic by cutting it and such.
Considering we're not getting a UA for it, it HAS to be a subclass already done and only needs minor tweaks rather than feedback-based work.

My guess is either Tasha sub, or maybe Arcane Archer. I don't know if Cavalier or Samurai would make it without reworking and PDK is a joke in need of major redesign.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Considering we're not getting a UA for it, it HAS to be a subclass already done and only needs minor tweaks rather than feedback-based work.

My guess is either Tasha sub, or maybe Arcane Archer. I don't know if Cavalier or Samurai would make it without reworking and PDK is a joke in need of major redesign.
Yeah, the Xanathar's stuff would need a rework, and the Echo Knight isn't going into a PHB. Rune Knight and Pai Warrior are the only possibilities for skipping UA, I'm pretty sure.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Brute failed because it was the platonic ideal of a big dumb fighter, a niche people that people assumed to belong with the Champion.

The Champion is instead intended to be the newb class, and people simply didn't understand the distinction. The Brute is, perhaps, the greatest argument against the methodology behind the UA surveys that we have.

mellored

Legend

I don't see any inherent issues with the Samurai or Cavalier that would require a major rework.

They need to rename Samurai to something culturally neutral, and tweak some numbers. But nothing fundamental change to how they play.

Remove ads