• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Best Beginner Build

Agreed. They have to learn all of that stuff just like everyone else. So the question today is merely “how can we minimize the complexity of the optional features so they can focus on learning the fundamentals?” E.g. Don’t play a spellcaster at first, because it requires you to read through and manage access to lots of spells.
I find that a slightly modified warlock is actually pretty good for a new player who wants magic. Since they have limited magic there's less for them to manage/remember. My one modification is that when he gains new spells I give him the spell (no choice on his part), but will allow retaining spells later. I fluff it that his patron demands a specific path of magic that can only be changed once mastered.

I like the Fighter (Sharpshooter) simply because it's one of the few Fighter archetypes in A5e where you don't have to wonder if the Fighting Style you picked up at 1st level is the right one for you. Archery or Thrown Weapon. The first improves your chances of hitting a target with a well-placed arrow. The other adds a little more damage to any thrown weapon you have on your person.

I really wish there was an A5e Fighter archetype that works well with the Two-Weapon Fighting style. I know that there is the Duelist archetype. I am simply not the witty, flamboyant type. :p

Timespike

A5E Designer and third-party publisher
So I'm going to throw out a controversial opinion: I think the ideal starter class is rogue, not fighter. Everybody knows about ninjas, and the single die of sneak attack, no maneuvers, and a single skill trick is a very simple build. It'll still be lots of fun to play, though, with extra damage a lot of the time, and the power fantasy of being the sneaky person.

So I'm going to throw out a controversial opinion: I think the ideal starter class is rogue, not fighter. Everybody knows about ninjas, and the single die of sneak attack, no maneuvers, and a single skill trick is a very simple build. It'll still be lots of fun to play, though, with extra damage a lot of the time, and the power fantasy of being the sneaky person.
you're not wrong. Berserker could also be argued as a nice starter class. Large HD makes them tough, no maneuvers out of the box, rage is fairly simple to manage, and there's a lot of well known inspiration for the class as well.

Timespike

If the newbie really wants to play a spellcaster, a cleric, wizard, or sorcerer shouldn't be too bad, either. I'd stay away from bards (the battle hymn/bardic inspiration thing adds some extra resource management on top of spells) and druids (getting tossed into wildshape as soon as you level up once is cool, but it's also the deep end).

Timespike

Mechanically, I'd also suggest the rogue is the best choice. They are broadly competent, have an approachable and pretty understandable fantasy, and have a very simple combat loop.
The other nice thing about them is that while they can be an underhanded ne'er do well, they don't have to be. You can play a hard-as-nails royal spymaster and get your Francis Walsingham on, go for a very smart and perceptive sort and emulate Sherlock Holmes, channel basically any Assassin's Creed protagonist ever, etc.

Remove ads