• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Anyone else want to see Spelljammer for 5e?

Olfan

First Post
Sure! Will I ever play it? Unlikely, but I'm definitely down for seeing it. It's got its own brand of weirdness I can respect.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Sure! Will I ever play it? Unlikely, but I'm definitely down for seeing it. It's got its own brand of weirdness I can respect.
Yeah, I'd buy it just to see the art and read the ideas, even if I couldn't find anyone else into it. On the other hand, I could definitely see easing players in a high-level "vanilla" D&D campaign onto a SpellJammer. I think that might've been what sold TSR on the concept in the first place - it's the sort of thing you can drop into an existing "vanilla" D&D setting and hook players of high-level characters into the next bold step for mankind.

Edit: re: it's own brand of weirdness, yes, the concept of SJ is instantly compelling. I've long had a concept for a D&D-like setting with magic instead of tech, but with the tech looking like magic. So much like magic, that even players might not know it was tech, unless they read the DM books or had otherwise been spoiled. The idea being, the setting is a Dying Sun type milieu that had undergone so many cataclysms for so long that in the present era, the uber-high-tech left over all works like magic, right down to the aesthetics. Lots of nanotech and the like to hand-wave away what looks like tech to modern eyes, that sort of thing. Shiny rods of healing, AI "oracles" that communicate via holograms ("ghosts"), True20-style psionics instead of magic, replace all the monsters (ape-men instead of orcs, re-fluffed elves, bla bla bla), etc. Not sure why it would be any more fun for players than a vanilla D&D setting, unless campaigns centered around pulling back Oz' curtain, though.

Last edited:

Morlock

Banned
Banned
That sounds very much like Numenera.
Just going by the blurb on Monte's site, it's about halfway between wonky early S&S D&D and Numenara. But very much with Numenara's basis in exploration. The more notes I wrote on it, the more it shaped up into something that seemed better suited to fiction than an RPG setting. Let the reader in on the secrets along the way.

Last edited:

Agamon

Adventurer
Unless it's very different from the 2e setting, probably not. I still have a lot of SJ stuff on the shelf beside me.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, I'd be into it.

I've yet to get really into an SJ game, mostly because on the surface it all looks like "It's corny 1970's sci fi plus GIANT SPACE HAMSTERS," but I bet there's some juiciness hiding under that togas-and-space-sharks vibe that could be really sweet.

caudor

Adventurer
One thing I remember about Spelljammer is the hippo people (I forget what they were called). I loved the 'everything you know about space is wrong' angle and it was fun. But I still could not stop laughing at the hippo people.:p

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads