• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer Anyone else want to see Spelljammer for 5e?

Wolfskin

Explorer
I do! :)

Spelljammer and Planescape were big favorites of mine back in the days of AD&D, even though I've used SJ far less than most other settings. I loved that age of sail vibe.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Yes. Though I wouldn't mind some reimagining.
I consider a lot of re-imagining/reworking to be par for the course. So yes, lots of re-imagining/working. And glorious color art worthy of the concept (I daresay I'd much prefer WotC's art direction applied to Spelljammer, Gamma World (full treatment, not like they did for 3e), Star Frontiers, and Dark Sun, as opposed to it as applied to D&D, which I've found kind of hit-and-miss (though I've got my fingers crossed for 5e D&D's art). If WotC could stand the whining about "reusing" art, they could drop a hell of a lot of MtG art right into Spelljammer). I'd drop a lot of the silly stuff.

I'd also buy a 5e sci-fi game line with expansion splats for SF and GW, but the idea probably gives Wizards flasbacks to the not-successful-enough D20 line.

Last edited:

Ichneumon

First Post
Hell yeah. I believe that if Spelljammer is done, it'll work like a "D&D Star Trek" where space exploration is the prime focus, rather than using it as a highway between Toril and Krynn.

Morlock

Banned
Banned
Hell yeah. I believe that if Spelljammer is done, it'll work like a "D&D Star Trek" where space exploration is the prime focus, rather than using it as a highway between Toril and Krynn.

I agree, it needs to work as its own setting. I don't object to it linking other campaign worlds, but that doesn't really take advantage of what SJ has to offer, IMO. DMs can already link campaign worlds if they want to.

And D&D Star Trek sounds like a pretty good kernel to start from. (Funny thing about SJ, it kinda steals back what Star Trek/sci-fi stole from the fiction surrounding the age of exploration. "Sail to strange, exotic lands, fight their men and, er, romance their women.")

Just spitballing, but if Wizards go with the space exploration angle, a couple ideas:

1. Really robust planet/whatever & critter creation rules. Space is big.
2. Module-as-planet.
3. Lots of quick write-ups in PDF form on the Wizards' site.
4. A series of unique and adventure-lovin' worlds in greater detail than the modules and quickie PDFs.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads