• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OD&D 5e in a 1e/OD&D built world

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've been running a homebrewed megadungeon written, at least in part, with 1e sensibilities, including the occasional overwhelming encounter (e.g. 16 skeletons). I've changed absolutely nothing, excepting the stats and an occasional magic item conversion to something more 5e-appropriate. So far it has been fine; the 16 skeleton encounter proved manageable when the party's paladin stood in the doorway with his AC 16 (or thereabouts), Heavy Armor Mastery and protection from evil & good.

I have done this exact same thing, with my Felk Mor superdungeon designed with 1e feel. I've also run a lot of 1e modules with 5e doing little more that replace monster stat blocks. In my opinion, it is super easy to play 5e in an old school style

Remathilis

Legend
I've been running a homebrewed megadungeon written, at least in part, with 1e sensibilities, including the occasional overwhelming encounter (e.g. 16 skeletons). I've changed absolutely nothing, excepting the stats and an occasional magic item conversion to something more 5e-appropriate. So far it has been fine; the 16 skeleton encounter proved manageable when the party's paladin stood in the doorway with his AC 16 (or thereabouts), Heavy Armor Mastery and protection from evil & good.

I have done this exact same thing, with my Felk Mor superdungeon designed with 1e feel. I've also run a lot of 1e modules with 5e doing little more that replace monster stat blocks. In my opinion, it is super easy to play 5e in an old school style

I'm curious: are you handing out the 1e level of treasure and magic items as well? It seems 5e is lower in both regards...

By the encounter designer:

12 skeletons (@ 50 XP each) = 600 XP.

6 first level PCs

Easy: 150 XP
Medium: 300 XP
Hard: 450 XP
Deadly: 600 XP

So...

12 skeletons is deadly, but not a tpk. If the PCs can use some good tactics, terrain, or such to their advantage, they might survive. If they don't, they're dead.

If such a thing concerns you, simply reduce the # of skeletons (9 is hard, 6 is medium) or give them some advantage (cover, ample holy water, etc).
You forgot that 12 skeletons are a mob and as such, you multiply xp by 3 for determining encounter difficulty. So, way beyond deadly - by the RAW, at least.

the Jester

Legend
I'm curious: are you handing out the 1e level of treasure and magic items as well? It seems 5e is lower in both regards...

Yes, but it's not the massive amount you might expect. The sections I designed under 1e used treasure types (often only a handful of coins per goblin or orc), and there's not actually a lot of randomly generated magic if you actually roll the dice for them. Also, note that a random magic item might be a treasure map instead under 1e. (Yay for treasure maps- they lead the pcs to other adventures!)

Some of the dungeon's treasure is chosen by me, where appropriate to the place's background and so forth. But so far, the pcs have found one magic potion in the place. (Maybe two, I may be misremembering.) This is after about 60-75% of their adventuring has been in the dungeon, and they've gotten as high as 4th level.

Nebulous

Legend
Thanks for the quick response, EW (I, too, am a big Mystara fan!).

Have you used any of the modules "as-is"? For example, if you were to run "Horror Under the Hill," there's an encounter in the monastery with 12 skeletons. I'm under the impression that's a pretty scary encounter for 1st level characters in 5e (and admittedly, that's a pretty heavy duty deal in B/X, too--but mitigated by a cleric's Turn power). I'd be interested in your experiences.

Well, yes, it is very likely that 12 skeletons will utterly annihilate a party of 1st level characters. In Lost Mine, the first encounter had 4 goblins, and that nearly killed them. I had to make the goblins use poor tactics. That said, if there is so way the PCs could use hit and run strategy or tactics, or skip the encounter altogether, that would be fine. Expecting them to engage in melee and WIN, that probably won't happen.

Depending on the Party In Question, how experienced/skilled they are, and your own tactics as DM, you could always parse the skeletons out in waves so that instead of 12, they will be in waves of 3-6 each.

aramis erak

Legend
You forgot that 12 skeletons are a mob and as such, you multiply xp by 3 for determining encounter difficulty. So, way beyond deadly - by the RAW, at least.

only by 2.5 for 6+ PC's.... (The DMG shifts parties of 6+ down one multiplier; and parties of 1-2 up one.)

so, to get down to 600 Difficulty Value for deadly, 4 skeletons. 50 x 1.5 x 4= 600.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads