• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3PP Release (3rd Party Book Release) Paranormal Power: A Psionics Option for 5e and A5e, written by Steampunkette!

I have been asked, and the answer is yes: All of the artwork in this book is AI Generated.

I walked into writing this book with a budget of $0 and am currently at -$35 dollars (I spent a tiny bit of money on advertising). All of the artwork is provided by the Midjourney AI. The Fonts and Backgrounds are free-use with credit to their creators, as well. Specifically Swordmeow, the artist of the page backgrounds and watercolors themselves, and Jason Ondricek, who maintains the online archive that provided their access.

Ultimately there are several reasons I chose to use AI artwork.

1) Broke. I literally had no money to put towards art and no skill with creating artworks.

2) Very Specific Ideas. Yes, there are free art packs out there in the world, and public domain works are abundant. None of them matched my ideal, my hopes, my specific mental image of what these things should look like. Selfish, for sure, but at least I'm honest about it.

3) I was woefully unaware of the unethical nature of most dataset collections for AI art. Whether through innocent lack of exposure or avoiding it subconsciously I didn't know until late in the process that AI art often scraped digital imagery directly. Even to the point of copying signatures and watermarks.

I would 100% understand and agree with anyone who refused to pay money for this product on that basis, alone. That is a healthy moral stance to take. I get it. And have chosen to continue to produce this product. Aware of the ethical mire I am in, and the divisive nature of my choice, I accept any repercussion thereof.
First of all thank you for this response and transparency.

I am against the commercial use of AI art because I know how it can affect small/independent artists.

That said I will still be backing your project and hope it is a success for you.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
There is actually a fourth reason for AI art...

It looks "Wrong". Slightly off and Ethereal. Like a dream, where things aren't -quite- right. Where ideomorphism meets liminal space. Where the half-remembered fades on waking...

I kinda thought it was a little poetic how everything was slightly off. Or in some cases wildly unrealistic while still using "Real" textures. Or "Real" shapes.

In the picture of the Bogey, for example, there is an impression of a child sitting in a bed. But there's no child, there. Only sheets and floating hair. they have no face, no body. But you might not pick that up on the first glance because it's implied.

Last edited:

GuyBoy

Hero
Just my tuppence worth to support:
Steampunkette is brilliant. She is an awesome DM, with an engaging and involving style. Incredibly creative and a writer of true talent. She’s also a great person.
I truly hope that lots of people will get behind this Kickstarter. It will be superb!

I have been asked, and the answer is yes: All of the artwork in this book is AI Generated.

I walked into writing this book with a budget of $0 and am currently at -$35 dollars (I spent a tiny bit of money on advertising). All of the artwork is provided by the Midjourney AI. The Fonts and Backgrounds are free-use with credit to their creators, as well. Specifically Swordmeow, the artist of the page backgrounds and watercolors themselves, and Jason Ondricek, who maintains the online archive that provided their access.

Ultimately there are several reasons I chose to use AI artwork.

1) Broke. I literally had no money to put towards art and no skill with creating artworks.

2) Very Specific Ideas. Yes, there are free art packs out there in the world, and public domain works are abundant. None of them matched my ideal, my hopes, my specific mental image of what these things should look like. Selfish, for sure, but at least I'm honest about it.

3) I was woefully unaware of the unethical nature of most dataset collections for AI art. Whether through innocent lack of exposure or avoiding it subconsciously I didn't know until late in the process that AI art often scraped digital imagery directly. Even to the point of copying signatures and watermarks.

I would 100% understand and agree with anyone who refused to pay money for this product on that basis, alone. That is a healthy moral stance to take. I get it. And have chosen to continue to produce this product. Aware of the ethical mire I am in, and the divisive nature of my choice, I accept any repercussion thereof.
Thanks for this and congrats on your work. Maybe you could use the kickstarter to pay for an artist? Or have an artist as a stretch goal?

Remove ads