• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5e] New rules from Savage Species

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
shilsen said:
9) Energy drain (as possessed by wights and spectres) allows a Fort save to avoid taking negative levels.

I'm going to have to go reread my copy of Savage Species for more information on this, since there is still some stuff about that I don't understand.

The way it works now is that character's make that Fortitude save immediately upon being hit to possibly avoid the negative level. But, if they take the negative level, is it then permanent, or do they still get to try to make a Fort save again 24 hours later to shake it off? Personally, I hope its the former, since that puts the immediate risk of level drain back in those creatures (though Restoration might have to be retooled). If its the latter though, then energy draining will seriously have been gutted, as the PCs now get two saves to avoid it.

Anyone have any more information about this?

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Re: Re: [3.5e] New rules from Savage Species

Alzrius said:
I'm going to have to go reread my copy of Savage Species for more information on this, since there is still some stuff about that I don't understand.

The way it works now is that character's make that Fortitude save immediately upon being hit to possibly avoid the negative level. But, if they take the negative level, is it then permanent, or do they still get to try to make a Fort save again 24 hours later to shake it off? Personally, I hope its the former, since that puts the immediate risk of level drain back in those creatures (though Restoration might have to be retooled). If its the latter though, then energy draining will seriously have been gutted, as the PCs now get two saves to avoid it.

It's two saves now - one to get the negative levels, and another (if the first is failed) to try to shake them off.

Looks like everyone went the "I like/dislike the rule changes" route anyway :rolleyes:

Gez

First Post
1) Monsters receive skills based on Int score and HD, just like PCs.
+
4) Monsters receive feats as characters do - 1 at 1st, one at 3rd, 6th, etc.

Really good. This annoyed me it didn't worked this way in the first place.

2) Wilderness Lore is now Survival.

3) Alchemy is Craft (Alchemy)

Not much a problem with that.

5) Beasts are gone, and all former beasts are animals or magical beast now.
Given thaat they shafted beasts to be of animal-level stupidity, that seems logical they removed them entirely.

6) Shapechanger is now a subtype, instead of a type, e.g. a doppelganger is now a monstrous humanoid, with subtype shapechanger.
It was a bit f an awkward type anyway.

7) Face is now always a square (5 ft, 10 ft, 15 ft, etc.).
That's better IMO.

8) Fire and Cold subtypes now provide immunity to the given type and a -10 penalty on saves against the opposed element. If there is no save allowed, take double damage.

Shit ! Description of these subtype is going to be lengthier. I've got a 450 word quota, me!

9) Energy drain (as possessed by wights and spectres) allows a Fort save to avoid taking negative levels.

Fighter-types are happy. This will give them yet another assets on wizard-types, now they will resist negative levels, while the wizards won't.

Given everyone has been whining that wizards were too powerful, that seems an expectable step. I guess they'll buff clerics a bit more to compensate.

hong

WotC's bitch

Gez said:

3) Alchemy is Craft (Alchemy)

Not much a problem with that.

Interestingly, it means Alchemy is now a class skill for everyone....

Actually, where's the bit where it talks about Alchemy and Wilderness Lore being changed?

Darklone

Gez said:
Fighter-types are happy. This will give them yet another assets on wizard-types, now they will resist negative levels, while the wizards won't.

Given everyone has been whining that wizards were too powerful, that seems an expectable step. I guess they'll buff clerics a bit more to compensate.

Sorry, I don't understand your reasoning concerning clerics. They already have rocking Fort saves, why should they be buffed for compensation?

I don't like the rule at all. This seriously screws most vampires and other stuff... gonna add some character levels to them to make up for it.

Pax

Banned
Banned

Alzrius said:
If its the latter though, then energy draining will seriously have been gutted, as the PCs now get two saves to avoid it.

Check out the Wight template. Instead of one "you have to take this" negative level, you get two maybe levels.

Sounds ot me like they're doubling up on how many energylevels you MIGHT gt, but letting you make saves to NOT get 'em, maybe at ALL.

Then again, that might not be a universal change, either.

Gez

First Post
Re: Re: Re: [3.5e] New rules from Savage Species

Pax said:

Check out the Wight template. Instead of one "you have to take this" negative level, you get two maybe levels.

Sounds ot me like they're doubling up on how many energylevels you MIGHT get, but letting you make saves to NOT get 'em, maybe at ALL.

Great. Before, it was wizard and rogue lose one level, cleric and fighter lose one too.

Now it's wizard and rogue lose two levels, cleric and fighter lose none.

I guess they'll rename their company to Fighters of the Coast.

PS: Darklone, that wasn't reasonning, that was sarcasm.

shilsen

Adventurer

hong said:

Actually, where's the bit where it talks about Alchemy and Wilderness Lore being changed?

It's on page 4 at the bottom of the page ("Monsters as Characters" sidebar).

Spatzimaus

First Post

hong said:

Except non-Shaper Psions, Psychic Warriors, Aristocrats, and lots of PrCs. Craft and Profession aren't totally universal.

Quip

First Post
I would expect that any class that did/didn't have alchemy as a class skill will be the same for Craft (Alchemy), regardless of access to the Craft skill. Just like how Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Nature) and Knowledge (Arcana) are kept seperate from Knowledge (Any).

Remove ads