• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 3.5 XP Table

DarkWizard

First Post
Would anyone here be able to help me figure out the formula for the XP table? Everything in d20 has a specific formula that can be used to produce consistent results, but for the life of me I cannot determine the formula used to come up with the values listed across the XP table.

Anyone?

calypso15

Explorer
Sure. To reach level 2 takes 1000 xp. To reach level 3 you need to earn another 2000 xp. To reach 4 you need another 3000 xp.

So, XP needed to level = Current Level x 1000

Calypso

EDIT: BTW, the total xp is a recursive formula. Total XP to reach Level N = Total XP to reach Level N-1 + (N-1)*1000. There might be a non-recursive formula, but I've forgotten it.

Last edited:

Which XP table? The character progression XP table, or the XP reward by CR table?

I think the formula for the character XP table is 500 * (level) * (level-1), ie to reach level X, you need 500 * X * (X-1) xp. For example, to reach 6th level, you need 500 * 6 * 5 = 15000XP.

The XP reward table formula... let me think about it...

AR

Laman Stahros

First Post
If your talking about the chart in the DMG, I don't think there is a formula. Sometimes they just did a chart by eyeball, instead of using a formula. Sorry.

DarkWizard

First Post
I am talking about Table 2-6: Experience Point Awards in the DMG.

Lamon -- I have begun to suspect that, but I am hoping against hope that there actually is a formula.

Last edited:

calypso15

Explorer
Altamont Ravenard said:
Which XP table? The character progression XP table, or the XP reward by CR table?

I think the formula for the character XP table is 500 * (level) * (level-1), ie to reach level X, you need 500 * X * (X-1) xp. For example, to reach 6th level, you need 500 * 6 * 5 = 15000XP.

The XP reward table formula... let me think about it...

AR

Well, if it's a properly matched encounter (CR = party level) the XP award is CR*300. The other ones... it'll take me a few minutes I think.

Well, you have to remember that to go up a level, you should face 13.333 encounters of your level, and be in a party of 4.

For example, you need 7,000 XP to go from level 7 to 8. A CR7 creature is worth 2,100 XP to a 7th level party.

2,100 X 13.333 = 28,00 XP.
28,000 XP divided by 4 = 7,000 XP each. Gain a level. :)

The table is also based on the fact that 2 CR x creatures = 1 CR (+2) creature (in theory). That's why a CR7 creature is worth twice what a CR5 is worth in XP (for a certain level of PCs).

Is this making any sense?

AR

calypso15

Explorer
The XP for a Level X party having defeated a CR Y encounter is:

X*300 + (Y-X)*X*150

That is....

The XP for a properly balanced encounter of the parties level + the difference between the CR and the party level * the party level * 150.

Calypso

EDIT: Damn, doesn't work across the board.

Last edited:

DarkWizard

First Post
All very interesting possibilities, I'll have to play around with them to see if they will work for what I need. Thanks a bunch.

Edit: Nope, none of this is working. As with all the formulas I have tried myself, none of this can produce consistent results across the board. What I need is to find a formula with which I can accurately recreate the XP table, and I have yet to find anything of the sort.

Last edited:

Remove ads