• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 [3.5] Psionics and 1hr/level buffs...

MikeyP

First Post
Hey guys, I've seen all this chatter about stat buffing spells that currently last 1hr/level in 3.0 being cut down to 1min/level in 3.5.

Any word on Psi powers that currently last 1hr/level being bumped down to 1min/level or anything similar?

Can anyone post a link to the chat transcript, if such exists?

Thanks,
Mike

Kraedin

First Post
There are currently no announced plans to revise the Psionics Handbook. However, there is a persistant rumor that a revised PsiHB will be released; wait and see.

Staffan

Legend
I'd take a look at what changes happen to the closest spell analogues to psionic powers (e.g. Animal Affinity -> Bull's Strength etc.) and change the powers proportionally.

For example, in 3.0, both Animal Affinity and the anibuffs have a duration of 1 hour per level. Since the anibuffs get dropped to 1 minute per level instead, so should Animal Affinity. It should also give a straight +4, just like the anibuffs.

However, let's say, just for the sake of the argument, that there's a spell that has a duration of 10 minutes per level, but the psionic equivalent lasts 1 hour per level instead. If that spell is reduced to 1 minute per level, I'd reduce the power by roughly the same amount, to 10 minutes per level. This maintains the magic/psionics balance, but takes into account the general reduction of that ability's power level.

Destil

Explorer
Personaly, I'd only even think about changing a few psionic powers with durations of 1 hour/level (Claws of the Vampire being the foremost), and even in thoes cases only down to 10 min/level. You'll really really hurt psychic warriors in doing this, they just don't have the power points to keep re-manifesting thoes powers, and are rather dependent on them.

That's just my opinion, though. And I'm not too happy with most of the 3eR reductions to spell durations, to beging with...

MikeyP

First Post
Limper:
On some points I'd have to agree with you; obviously the whole power scaling thing is a big issue-
eg, Fireball vs. Whitefire (by the book):
Fireball: minimum level is either a 5th level Wizard or a 6th level Sorcerer, base of either 5d6 or 6d6, cap of 10d6. That's 5-30, 6-36 and 10-60 points of damage respectively.
Whitefire: minimum level is either a 6th level shaper or a 7th level non-shaper psion. Base of 5d4 (5-20) damage and it don't change. Plus it eats up a precious slot, IIRC sorcerers ultimately get more slots for each spell level.
Sure, the shaper might be able to use it a few more times per day than a sorcerer, but the damage tradeoff is just not worth it.

As far as I can tell, Fireball and Whitefire are virtually identical except for the damage done.

I'm sure this argument has been beaten into the ground by now, and I'm also sure that most DMs have wizened up enough not to use Psionics by the book these days anyway... ;-)

Conversely, I'd have to say that the psychic warrior is grossly overpowered, especially with 1hr/level powers, the sheer number of feats that they get and the fact that they can get Mind Blast. That was my concern, though not illustrated in my initial post. Okay, so up until this paragraph this post didn't illustrate it either, but I thought I'd gripe a bit. :)

Vurt

First Post
MikeyP said:
Conversely, I'd have to say that the psychic warrior is grossly overpowered, especially with 1hr/level powers, the sheer number of feats that they get and the fact that they can get Mind Blast. That was my concern, though not illustrated in my initial post. Okay, so up until this paragraph this post didn't illustrate it either, but I thought I'd gripe a bit. :)

Well, a low level psywar isn't going to be able to use mind blast until 6th level or so, and even so, that's one attack that basically nerfs his power for the rest of the day. How many fireballs does a 6th level sorcerer get? Three? Four with a reasonable charisma? And then a slew of lower spells? Sure that's balanced by hp and feats and such, but if the psywar is resorting to that, he had better hope it works! Besides, as you say, you probably shouldn't use Psionics by the book, and in that light there's really no reason you couldn't simply restrict mind blast in some way that it would balance things out. Throw in an Int 17+ requirement and you can virtually guarantee your psywar's won't grab it.

As for feats and powers making the psywar overpowered, well, maybe. But it's nothing that a judicious application of Dispel Magic wouldn't be able to handle. And even then, he probably won't be able to afford the PP cost to bring his buffs back up afterwards, especially if he wants to keep some of those psionic feats running. Losing those 1h/level buffs would hit the psywar class very hard, IMHO. I sort of see them as one-trick ponies in this regard. Dropping that down to 1min/level would seriously reduce their effectiveness unless they get more PP per day to remanifest some of their expired powers.

Vurt

Last edited:

Wolf72

Explorer
Animal affinity is a personal buff, so no powering up the entire party either.

I'd leave it at 1/hr per lvl (and I wouldn't use the psi equiv's of the standard spells that were in dragon (iirc))

Staffan

Legend
Vurt said:
Besides, as you say, you probably shouldn't use Psionics by the book, and in that light there's really no reason you couldn't simply restrict mind blast in some way that it would balance things out. Throw in an Int 17+ requirement and you can virtually guarantee your psywar's won't grab it.
Mindscapes by Bruce Cordell makes it a level 5 telepathic power that only stuns people in the area for 1d4 (as opposed to 5d4) rounds.

Losing those 1h/level buffs would hit the psywar class very hard, IMHO. I sort of see them as one-trick ponies in this regard. Dropping that down to 1min/level would seriously reduce their effectiveness unless they get more PP per day to remanifest some of their expired powers.
IMO, if the magic anibuffs get moved down to 1 min/level, so should the psionic Animal Affinity. However, I don't see a problem with leaving things like Claws of the Bear (or Vampire) at 1 hour/level.

Vurt

First Post
Staffan said:
IMO, if the magic anibuffs get moved down to 1 min/level, so should the psionic Animal Affinity. However, I don't see a problem with leaving things like Claws of the Bear (or Vampire) at 1 hour/level.

Maybe, but part of the problem with the animal buffs was spellcasters casting all them all on everyone else in the party. With Animal Affinity's range of 'personal', that just isn't going to happen for a psionicist. I don't think I could simply accept that change, it's definitely something I'd have to playtest first.

Vurt

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads