• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General Your last adventure in photos.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
OK, two things I've run recently (taking summer break from one of them to play Shadowrun) are D&D 5e and Call of Cthulhu.

From our last D&D session in the Age of Worms AP. Ilthane's Revenge (or attempt, anyway) as she and her brood attack the PCs on their way to Alhaster. Proof that it might be a good idea to post a guard outside a Mordenkainen's Magificent Mansion on occasion or you end up missing things...
Ilthane's Revenge.jpg

And then the Séance at the Haunted House. Kyla the medium tries to contact the spirit(s?) that haunt the Van Laaden mansion, much to Sister Mary's discomfort.
Haunted House.jpg

Some of you may recognize this map as the map from the Haunted House scenario in Trail of Tsathogghua.

It wasn't our last game, but a recent one wound up with the party trying to stop the BBEG as he was using an ancient artifact to control the land itself, tearing huge chunks of it up into the sky, so that the party had to try to get at him Super Mario-style:

View attachment 293455
I've been toying with the idea of getting into Dwarven Forge. I just really don't know where to start. I've looked at their "starter" sets. I'm willing to drop so e cash for initial investment but for some reason I can't just pull the trigger. For now I'm going the xps foam route but I don't have a lot of time to craft, especially to the level I'd be happy with. I think I have seen you make some comments about having a bit of DF stuff. Any recommendations?

Clint_L

Hero
I've been toying with the idea of getting into Dwarven Forge. I just really don't know where to start. I've looked at their "starter" sets. I'm willing to drop so e cash for initial investment but for some reason I can't just pull the trigger. For now I'm going the xps foam route but I don't have a lot of time to craft, especially to the level I'd be happy with. I think I have seen you make some comments about having a bit of DF stuff. Any recommendations?
Do I have recommendations! In fact, over on the minisgallery.com subform for terrain, I created an extensive thread on this very topic, discussing various terrain options, including where I would start. There's an initial discussion of Dwarven Forge in general, as well as other terrain systems, and in later points I discuss specific DF biomes:

https://www.minisgallery.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=1285

But if you don't want to read through all that, I would say start with either a caverns or dungeon mega-pack and see how you like it. DF is the highest quality modular terrain available, but pricey, especially once you get into biomes like city and wilderness, so approach with caution. It is also really hard to navigate their online shop because there are so many options.

There are a lot of folks on this thread who look to know their way around DF and can offer great advice, too. Your own stuff looks pretty great, though I get no longer having the time. I started out making all my own stuff and then slowly migrated towards Dwarven Forge as money became more plentiful and time less so.

R_J_K75

Legend
HEY, YOU, STOP...I have lots of adventures on the few days a year I actually leave the house...JK but these poor guys look like you could give them the slip in no time.
1693121355756.jpeg

Do I have recommendations! In fact, over on the minisgallery.com subform for terrain, I created an extensive thread on this very topic, discussing various terrain options, including where I would start. There's an initial discussion of Dwarven Forge in general, as well as other terrain systems, and in later points I discuss specific DF biomes:

Getting Started with Terrain - MinisGallery Discussion Forum

But if you don't want to read through all that, I would say start with either a caverns or dungeon mega-pack and see how you like it. DF is the highest quality modular terrain available, but pricey, especially once you get into biomes like city and wilderness, so approach with caution. It is also really hard to navigate their online shop because there are so many options.

There are a lot of folks on this thread who look to know their way around DF and can offer great advice, too. Your own stuff looks pretty great, though I get no longer having the time. I started out making all my own stuff and then slowly migrated towards Dwarven Forge as money became more plentiful and time less so.
That is a great thread Clint. Thank you for sharing!

@MockingBird , if you do get into Dwarven Forge, I strongly urge you to start with their basic caverns or dungeons. It's something you can spend $300-$400 dollars on and be able to make quite a bit of area. The opposite of that, which are often looked at as the cooler sets, is the cities, wizard towers, and castles. For the price you can make very little area. I believe I spent $500 on the cities (with accoutrements) and I can make one single two story inn. That's it. Whereas the $400 I spent on caverns can cover the entire table.

Just my two coppers.

@Clint_L Do you happen to know of any terrain maker that does cliff walls? I have looked around, and it's fascinating to me. Lots of boulders and rocks, but no cliffs.

Last edited:

Thanks both of you! That thread is really helpful.I will definitely look into WTs. I've seen a few sets at a game store that's fairly close by. I really like the look of DF and I'm 100% sure it would wow my kids and get them more engaged in the game. Durability is another plus, especially with the kids haha.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
@Clint_L Do you happen to know of any terrain maker that does cliff walls? I have looked around, and it's fascinating to me. Lots of boulders and rocks, but no cliffs.
Cliffs are hard because they take a lot of terrain (i.e. $$$) for very little table coverage, so the best examples I have seen are from folks who make them out of foam, or Dwarven Forge, but that is probably the single most expensive thing you can make out of Dwarven Forge. DF wilderness terrain is around half price if you paint it yourself, but it is much, much more detailed and time consuming to paint than their dungeons or caverns (I can paint a whole dungeon set in about 2 hours, caverns in 3, but wilderness or Hellscape is probably 5 times as long - though that said cliffs are much easier than forest tiles).

This build was from a game a few months back:

Pirate Camp 3.jpg
Pirate Camp 2.jpg

Edit: One thing I have considered for doing a cliffside that characters had to climb and battle on is basically doing a cavern floor build with Dwarven Forge on one of their magnetic terrain trays (most DF pieces have magnets on the back) and then putting it on its side to create a vertical surface with ledges and such - that would probably work okay.

Last edited:

I bit the bullet and bought a couple of the dungeon core sets. I figure I can 3d print the dungeon dressing. I already have several casks and barrels printed just waiting on piant.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
Had a “mini con” at my house. I tried to cover it up with paper to start and revealed as we went!

That is a foam dungeon on top of my table sized mat.

The ship is on my water board. Made it with foam, aluminum foil, mod podge and glossy mod podge over paint.

The group sailed to an island with fortified seminaries corrupted by the abyss. The slime pit and creatures still await them…
The last pics are of a yet undiscovered temple…of Juiblex.

Attachments

• IMG_6932.jpeg
    IMG_6932.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6907.jpeg
    IMG_6907.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6906.jpeg
    IMG_6906.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • IMG_6900.jpeg
    IMG_6900.jpeg