• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Wrong thread location

Kenedeel

Villager
Meant to post this on another thread, but I didn't catch that it was in One D&D until too late. Please remove this post.

Last edited:

Epic Meepo

Adventurer
I agree with the title of this thread. The Thread Location rules in the latest playtest packet are clearly wrong. I don’t feel I’m being hyperbolic when I say the Thread Location rules are the worst design decision in the history of D&D. In fact, I’d even say they’re the worst design decision in the history of all games ever invented. I blame WotC, Crawford, and late-stage capitalism for this entire Thread Location debacle.

I’ve been playing D&D since three years before it was published. I’m not saying that to brag. I’m just saying it to explain where I’m coming from. And in all prior editions of D&D other than 4e, the DM was free to determine where Threads were located. Now, suddenly, WotC thinks we need fully fleshed-out rules for Thread Locations, like DMs aren’t able to make those decisions on their own. These new Thread Location mechanics reek of player entitlement.

If the playtest surveys weren’t a bunch of meaningless, non-scientific garbage, we’d have never gotten Thread Location mechanics in the first place. WotC keeps touting their arbitrary 70% satisfaction metric, as if numbers weren’t just tools corporate America invented to keep us from seeing the truth. The playtest methodology is flawed. I can't even offer explanations for my answers without choosing to type that information in the space provided. Total garbage.

I think we can all agree it’s WotC’s moral responsibility to remove unfortunate racist tropes from D&D. That’s long overdue. But now the half-elf is just a sidebar, yet we’re getting dedicated Thread Location mechanics! You know who doesn’t have a decades’ long history of using racially charged language to describe drow and orcs? Level Up. You know who also doesn’t have Thread Location mechanics? Level Up. I’m pretty sure you see where I’m going with this.

I came into this playtest excited about One D&D, but this one minor change to the rules has completely ruined my enthusiasm. This game is not living up to the personal house rules I fully wanted and expected WotC to publish on my behalf. I won’t be buying these new rulebooks. I’m done with One D&D. I’m not wasting any more headspace thinking about it. And I’ll be sure to post regularly between now and 2024 to remind everyone how little I'm dwelling on it.

Remove ads