• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotC WotC reported 50% growth over 2020!

darjr

I crit!
As growth happens it gets harder and harder to grow. It’s one reason I’m surprised at this.

Wizards of the Coast reported a 50% increase in YTD revenue compared to 2020. The Adventures in the Forgotten Realms set was the best-selling summer Magic: The Gathering set of all time.
Notably - Wizards of the Coast (which includes the Digital Gaming segment) reports over $1 billion in revenue YTD. That does not include the holiday shopping season.

darjr

I crit!
Here is Christopher’s article. Looks like there will be another D&D set, I might be right! But also wh40k and lord of the rings and others.

Jaeger

That someone better
I mean, good for them, profit drives the bus.

But I hope they don't misinterpret that data and think they need to unite the settings...that will be the last straw for me honestly.

This is something I thought a bit about - they have released 'Magic' settings for D&D - that evidently sold well, but...

There is a big collector element in the RPG hobby. How many of those MtG D&D settings area actually seeing significant playtime at tables or VTT?

How many were bought by MtG fans/players for the lore/art with no intention of ever playing D&D?

While there is some crossover - it is far more the RPG crowd occasionally dipping their toes into MtG.

IMHO The majority of the MtG crowd has no real interest in playing D&D.

So as much as WotC would very much like a stronger crossover between the two brands fans, that is rather wishful thinking IMHO...

Also this report is for overall WotC revenue, where a MtG set is specifically called out, even if it is D&D lore based.

What I would really like to see is the difference between MtG and D&D. But something tells me WotC will never report that if they can help it at all.

Last edited:

gss000

Explorer
What I would really like to see is the difference between MtG and D&D. But something tells me WotC will never report that if they can help it at all.
Have you gone through past Hasbro quarterly earning reports? I bet you'll find that information there. It's the benefit of publically traded companies. They often gove numbers like that for major units or divisions.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I mean, good for them, profit drives the bus.

But I hope they dont misinterpret that data and think they need to unite the settings...that will be the last straw for me honestly.
Out of just genuine curiosity - why is that?

Maybe this means we'll get more FR stuff for MtG, which...is good? I'm sure opinions vary - I don't play MtG, so there's little to no stakes in this for me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads