• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) WotC Fireside Chat: Revised 2024 Player’s Handbook

Book is near-final and includes psionic subclasses, and illustrations of named spell creators.

IMG_3405.jpeg

In this video about the upcoming revised Player’s Handnook, WotC’s Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins reveal a few new tidbits.
  • The books are near final and almost ready to go to print
  • Psionic subclasses such as the Soulknife and Psi Warrior will appear in the core books
  • Named spells have art depicting their creators.
  • There are new species in the PHB.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Me too. It's really pretty bad. I mean, it's bad for the game, but it's also a bad look: if they think "half-whatever" is problematic wording, I think effectively erasing people of mixed heritage is... worse? Certainly not better.

Not to mention all the attempts to recreate old half-elf characters (of which there are a LOT) using the new rules but being stuck with... an elf or a human. I can't imagine how they'll think it will fly.

And I'm not all that bothered by it myself! I just empathize with those who would be, of which I think that there will be a great great many.

Random thoughts...

If they're embracing "species", then it fits the misconception a lot of folks have about species not being able to interbreed. Which might be better than embracing species the way it does work in reality and having arguments about which shouldn't work at all and which would be sterile and...

If they go the way Glen Cook did with his Garrett Files, then just about everything humanoid can interbreed and it isn't restricted then to half/half.

In LotR did they always need to pick (for the half-elven anyway)?

What ever played out about the reaction to Riordan's use of "half-blood"? Is it the history of the naming or the crossing itself that's the issue?

I mean, decent rules for cross-species combinations instead of picking one doesn't seem that hard. But they seemingly can't get it where the plane-touched aren't all human variants.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Random thoughts...

If they're embracing "species", then it fits the misconception a lot of folks have about species not being able to interbreed. Which might be better than embracing species the way it does work in reality and having arguments about which shouldn't work at all and which would be sterile and...

If they go the way Glen Cook did with his Garrett Files, then just about everything humanoid can interbreed and it isn't restricted then to half/half.

What ever played out about the reaction to Riordan's use of "half-blood"? Is it the history of the naming or the crossing itself that's the issue?

I mean, decent rules for cross-species combinations instead of picking one doesn't seem that hard. But they seemingly can't get it where the plane-touched aren't all human variants.
Cross breed species are pretty common in mythology. Where do you think the minotaur came from? :)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Cross breed species are pretty common in mythology. Where do you think the minotaur came from? :)
I'm picturing going full Greek myth on it being a bit further than Hasbro would like to have splashed all over the news... :)

( I'm trying not to imagine a story where the famous D&D characters set out to bring Zeus and Poseidon to justice.)

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
Random thoughts...

I don't think most folks are going to think about it that hard or worry about it. I'm not.
That seems to be the intent but I suppose it is now up to every table to decide. Our current party includes a half-orc whose other half is mostly elf, with the human in there somewhere, apparently.
Yes. It isn't anything like half-elves in D&D.
It's super offensive to a lot of people.
Plane-touched aren't all human variants in my setting. This whole issue is a mountain out of a molehill for me. The new system is great - easy to understand and it works for every possible combination.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads