• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS WotBS versus Scales of War

Admiral Caine

First Post
I'm probably asking in the wrong place... I say that with humor because I realize that EnWorld publishes WotBS. At the same time, if I know anything about EnWorld, I know someone will give what they feel is an objective answer whether it's popular or not. :]

Anyway, I'm not just trying to stir up trouble. I've got a DDI subscription and therefore access to Scales of War.. but I'm giving some thought to WotBS 4E.

I've looked at Scales of War and I have seen and read some it's limitations, but fans have put together a pretty nice Wiki to help address them as much as possible. I do take those resources into account.

I want to compare it to WotBS. I might be looking in the wrong places, but I'm not seeing any reviews of the 4E version. I know some folks that have played the 3.5 version and had mixed reactions, but I want to look at it from the strictly 4E perspective.

I'm wondering if folks have any experience with both Adventure Paths, and could give me their thoughts, opinions, and reviews.

Thanks!

merchantsteve

Explorer
This thread talks about some users experiences with the WotBS
http://www.enworld.org/forum/e-n-publishing/259341-very-impressed.html

Here is a player's perspective
http://www.enworld.org/forum/e-n-publishing/259935-review-scouring-gate-pass-spoilers.html#post4878434

In fact, the whole thread gives an excellent look into DM and Player perceptions and our customer service.

Finally, Jack99's reviews can give you even more info
Jack99's 4e Ultrashort Reviews: The Indomitable Fire Forest of Innenotdar (EN publishing)
and
Jack99's 4e Ultrashort Reviews: The Scouring of Gate Pass (EN Publishing)

We make every effort to improve the existing product for the customer based on such comments as above and are willing to answer questions as needed.

Admiral Caine

First Post
Thanks for the quick reply Steve, that was the sort of articles and threads I was looking for..

May I ask if there have been any errata versions released yet?

merchantsteve

Explorer
We periodically release revised pdfs. For example, Scouring is currently at 1.1 and addresses some of Jack99's comments. Module 2 is still too new to make any updates, but will probably go through one as well.

Talysian

Explorer
I'll put my .02 in. Having ran the first three modules of SOW, and The First 1.5 of WOTBS. I can say this if you want dungeon crawl, hack n slash. SOW is for you. The wiki address's most of the paticular nasty spots, so I won't repeat them.

If you want something that easily approaches situations besides kill everything, go WOTBS. I've read the first two and while there are some minor spots of annoyance. I have to say that both are really well done. My only 3 complaints for module one is 1-2 fights have space constraint issue's which they have revised the map for one of them. And the Gauntlet run skill challenge., and while on Skill Challenge's the DC's while in line with WOTC dc's.. most of my group can auto pass most social based skill challenges. And they have non houseruled Characters. This is nothing they did wrong just a social built group and WOTC numbers being kind of low for my taste's.

Admiral Caine

First Post
I'll put my .02 in. Having ran the first three modules of SOW, and The First 1.5 of WOTBS. I can say this if you want dungeon crawl, hack n slash. SOW is for you. The wiki address's most of the paticular nasty spots, so I won't repeat them.

If you want something that easily approaches situations besides kill everything, go WOTBS. I've read the first two and while there are some minor spots of annoyance. I have to say that both are really well done. My only 3 complaints for module one is 1-2 fights have space constraint issue's which they have revised the map for one of them. And the Gauntlet run skill challenge., and while on Skill Challenge's the DC's while in line with WOTC dc's.. most of my group can auto pass most social based skill challenges. And they have non houseruled Characters. This is nothing they did wrong just a social built group and WOTC numbers being kind of low for my taste's.

Okay... Tell you what, collectively you guys have talked me into trying at least one.

I definitely don't need anything hack-n-slash. I think 4E is a good system (I love Pathfinder too). But the lack of quality adventures for 4E I think actually hurt the game's reputation. Unfairly so.

So I'll give it a shot.

I was concerned about that Gauntlet encounter, as it comes up a lot in these threads.. But maybe I can tweak it if necessary.

merchantsteve

Explorer
The revision is shown on the inside front page (page i) on the left side below the D&D legal text. If a revision has been issued, it will show up there. Scouring is currently on 'Revision 1'

kumagroo

First Post
SOW is insipid and storyless. It reveals it's "mysteries" with the subtelty of a hammer to the face, and it's recurring characters are barely alluded to and filled with the personalities of a kumquat, pumpkin, and avocado. If you want story, likeable (and hate-to-like) and recurring characters, WotBS is the only place so far to pull it off. After all the WotC books and advice on constructing memorable villains, their writers incompetently trump up the sort of faceless nemesis that you basically need to rewrite yourself.

If you want role-play but aren't able or willing to homebrew at this time, you've made a great choice. If you want Hack-n-slash, play a board game, MtG, or randomly drop monsters from the MM into your game. Your players, if half-endowed with grey matter, will resent the allegations that you are running a campaign arc with SOW.

P.S. As for the Gauntlet, I just used my wet erase markers on a wipeable board to make a twisting little tunnel for the fight and drew out some gravelly slopes on the sides. It took about 3 minutes of time.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads