• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

WotBS WotBS Paragon Paths 4E

Dracomaxis

First Post
Ok I know that this (hopefully) will be comming out in The Mad King's Banquet. But I guess my question as one of the supscription gamers is, will there be paragon paths in the PDF version of Mad King's? I have not downloaded this yet and if it is I might just pay the $7 for it. But are there going to be paragon paths, like the Solei Palancis path or one of the two monestary paragon paths that are alluded in the campaiign guide, released for the general public to ohh and ahh over before our characters get to level 11? This is for 4E by the way, sorry bout that.

I fully understand that everything takes time, and this is not a gripe par-se but is there any chance for a "preview" of the paragon paths that are out there, (if any) for the DM's to show their players before hand so that the players might make informed decisions for the future.

Thanks, Zach

By the way, I am giddy with hope that you guys will pull out some amazing paragon and epic paths later on in the campaign, because so far the suspense is getting to me.

EugeneZ

First Post
There are no Paragon Path in The Mad King's Banquet, sorry. The only 4e Paragon Path I know of is the Wayfarer one in Shelter. It would be nice to have m ore, yeah. Still, they shouldn't be all that hard to create from scratch, either.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm in the midst of writing the short supplement "Paragons of the Burning Sky" as we speak. Mission to the Monastery of Two Winds will come out first (since that's done, just final proofreading), and I'd guess at Paragons to be a couple of weeks later.

Since you've caught me writing it - I'm open to requests (although I don't promise anything!)

Possible groups that PCs might want to be a part of include:

Monastery of Two Winds (flying and kung-fu, perhaps a different path for east and west styles?)

Solei Palancis (light-themed warrior-mages)

Wayfarers (teleporting performers)

Lyceum mages (not sure what their gimmick would be; in 3e I saw them as sort of multicultural scholars of magic, so they'd learn a few spells from Germany, a few from China, and a few from India, but that doesn't work with the 4e dynamic)

Temple of Echoed Souls (borrow the abilities of others temporarily, kung-fu to attack people's souls)

Aquiline Cross (healing, restoring from the dead)

Dassen Military (earth-y?)
Ostalin Aerial Cavalry?
Gabalese war mage?
Gate Pass thieves' guild?
Inquisitor.

Dracomaxis

First Post
Thanks EugeneZ for the info on Mad King's, and I like the ideas that Wickett has on some of the areas of WotBS, while I also see some others that might not want to be left out.

Resistance - like a defender of the people
" Spoiler!! "
A Trillith path - getting endowed with a spirit of a trillith, like Crystin dying and the spirit moving on to another player. Illusion/Domination or control

just a thought, and Morrus thanks for doing this. I guess (I don't know) that it is your job to work on this stuff (the WotBS campaign and everything else for the site), but you are a great help to those that ask for advice or have questions. You are doing a great job

Last edited:

EugeneZ

First Post
A Gate Pass Resistance Paragon Path would be great. A lot of the characters in my current group were pretty enamored by the resistance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think I've settled with the following list:

Ragesian Inquisitor [cleric]
Wayfarer Cirquelist (reprint from WotBS #3) [bard]
Knight of the Aquiline Cross [any divine]
Resistance Fighter [any]
Order of the East Wind
Order of the West Wind
Order of Echoed Souls
Solei Palancis [fighter, paladin]
Lyceum Adept [any arcane]

I think war mages are already adequately covered in the core rules. Not sure how to hande the various monks - whether to actually use the monk class, bearing in mind that not everybody necessarily has that class, or just to make them kung-fu martial variants with funky powers.

I like the trillith path idea, and might give it some thought.

Truename

First Post
Not sure how to hande the various monks - whether to actually use the monk class, bearing in mind that not everybody necessarily has that class, or just to make them kung-fu martial variants with funky powers.

Three paths for just one class seems excessive. Maybe one for monks only, and the rest for a wider audience?

Plus, my group doesn't have any monks. :D

Oops, hit send too soon.

Why have class prerequisites? Just open East Wind to anyone, but have the attacks be Dex- and Cha- based so it appeals to sorcerers, and have West Wind use Dex or Wis, to appeal to divine spellcasters.

I mean, I've done no actual paragon path design before, but if a paladin wants to study the ways of the east wind, so he choose between punching with lightning, and slashing with radiance, there's probably little harm.

Like, design the powers so a monk or a cleric would be best suited to the west wind path, but don't require channel divinity, for instance. Just make them leader-y, granting flight and such to yourself and allies. Meanwhile east wind powers fit well with sorcerers, giving him some close combat oomph, or grant a normal monk some cool stuff.

The trick is to make sure that the path provides something neither monks or clerics/sorcerers/wizards/invokers/etc. get on their own, at least not easily.

Last edited:

EugeneZ

First Post
I notice that Ragesian Inquisitor is a cleric in your list, but so far, all the Inquisitors in the campaign have been based on "Avenger" templates, as far as I can tell. I actually thought of them as clerics but thought them being avengers was a clever twist. Avengers are, after, all, just really hardcore battle clerics.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads