• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Why is There No Warlord Equivalent in 5E?

ECMO3

Hero
One of the things that doesn't get enough consideration is that movement, alone, will not keep rage going. So if you don't have an enemy in reach, you need to find a source of damage. If nothing readily presents itself, you can punch yourself, costing your action.
Or throw something.

ECMO3

Hero
Did you miss me saying we played from level 1 to 9?'

I was talking about where you said 1d6 damage with a 20 Dex and a +3 PB ..... that is a minimum of level 5.

Your claim was that was better than 3 from using something else not resistant or that kills regeneration. At higher level (where you have a +3 and a 20 in your main stat) that is true.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
That was why I loved the 3e Warlock. It got to play around with some of the caster toys, but without the limited spell slot management minigame.
D&D never only committed to a decision of "Class as Gameplay Experience" vs "Class as Narrative Envelope" once.

But But even if it chose either direction it would have surely surpassed the number 12 which is my biggest gripe with 5e all together m

Either give us 15 different gameplay skeletons or 15 different story skeletons. Not 12 halfways.

Yaarel

He-Mage
In my experience, the people whom the champion fighter was made for usually end up trying to play a wizard instead, with poor results for both themselves and the rest of the table.
Yeah. Magic needs to be "simple" too.

I am convinced the casters need to be default spell points. I prefer this style, but genuinely feel it is better for the game as whole.

Spell points are simple. There is a single pool of "energy" to spend. Nobody ever misunderstands this concept.

There is a simple list of "prepare spells" that the player can spend energy on. Done.

Points are especially necessary at the highest tiers, of Levels 13 thru 16 and 17 thru 20. These levels feel way too bloated with too many fiddly little slots. 100% unnecessary. A single pool of spell points instantly fixes the problem.

Then the highest tiers casters feel simple, like superheroes. They have a list of powers, and can use them whenever they want.

For the sake of balance, Warlock style Short Rest spell points is the way to do it. Pool of points = Level + 1. Spell cost = slot. A slot 3 Fireball spell costs 3 points to cast. Per casting, one cannot use more points than Level/2.

Suddenly, mages are simple. Players still need to understand spell descriptions, but they dont need to understand all of them, just the few that are in their character sheet.

For the Wizard spellbook and its potentially unlimited spells, this is for advanced players. Even then they are swapping one or two chosen spells into their prepared list.

Remove ads