• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Why are they waiting til June?

neceros

Adventurer
It may hurt them to have released info on it so early. At times, I feel very tired about Fourth Ed info. Generally, I'm excited, but that excitement is quickly dying.

I just want it to be over now. I'm done with it all.

We should all be happy that they aren't going with the original release time line... June, July, August for each of the Core books.

I do wish they would release the DM Screen and Character Sheets on June 6th; is that asking too much WotC? Is it???

Kuato

First Post
neceros said:
It may hurt them to have released info on it so early. At times, I feel very tired about Fourth Ed info. Generally, I'm excited, but that excitement is quickly dying.

I just want it to be over now. I'm done with it all.

QFT

Asmor

First Post
Ghaerdon Fain said:
We should all be happy that they aren't going with the original release time line... June, July, August for each of the Core books.

I do wish they would release the DM Screen and Character Sheets on June 6th; is that asking too much WotC? Is it???

Actually, I think the original release date was May, June, July. Which is more or less what I remember them doing with 3rd edition... It sucked not having the MM right away.

Baka no Hentai

First Post
Morrus said:
(and, unfortuntely, despite writing the game, WotC doesn't actually have access to the teleportatin spell!)

Not to mention the fact that you could only learn the teleportatin' spell if you live in the deep south.

Ian Demagi

Explorer
4E wait too long

Yeah,

I think Hasbro WotC has made some marketing mistakes. I think some of them were because WotC wanted to announce things at planned events like Gencon.

The wait has been too long. They also should have had more seperation between H1 and the 4E roll out. The initial plan of bringing out one book per month was plain bad marketing.
Thankfully the D & D community shouted this one down. I also think that World Wide Game Day was also too soon after the release. Players who have not followed the pre-release stuff will be lost. This will not endear 4E to people that might not have been happy about the demise of 3.5 and are on the fense about 4E.

WWGD may have been to give a shot in the arm to many game stores who WotC blind sided, with the release of 4E. (That should have been leaked to game store owners and officers). What sort of support will be offered? Not to sure about this...

For my area (Cincinnati) I am not expecting much. RPGA is here is not very strong, and the Nati has not had a large convention in 15 years-so how much love are we really going to get???

Ian

cdrcjsn

First Post
Ian Demagi said:
For my area (Cincinnati) I am not expecting much. RPGA is here is not very strong, and the Nati has not had a large convention in 15 years-so how much love are we really going to get???

Ian

WotC doesn't run conventions. I know here in the SF Bay Area, conventions and game days happen because volunteers step forward and organize them. Thanks to the efforts of a handful of people, we have a vibrant RPGA gaming community here.

I also don't think GenCon (or any other convention) has anything to do with the June release of the core books. Gencon is in August. Origins is 3 weeks after book release.

D'karr

Adventurer
Ian Demagi said:
I also think that World Wide Game Day was also too soon after the release. Players who have not followed the pre-release stuff will be lost. This will not endear 4E to people that might not have been happy about the demise of 3.5 and are on the fense about 4E.

WWGD may have been to give a shot in the arm to many game stores who WotC blind sided, with the release of 4E. (That should have been leaked to game store owners and officers). What sort of support will be offered? Not to sure about this...

Worldwide Gameday requires no prior knowledge of the game. The adventure has pregenerated characters, so there is nothing for the players to be lost with. It is a demo game, just as previous Game Days.

Would it have been better if they gave us a week? Maybe, but the volunteers running these events are usually pretty saavy.

Ian Demagi

Explorer
WotC doesn't run conventions.

Agreed, Ian.

I also don't think GenCon (or any other convention) has anything to do with the June release of the core books. Gencon is in August. Origins is 3 weeks after book release.

True, but imho, they wanted to make the annoucment at last years GenCon-is what I was saying-This is what caused the long lead time. It would hacve been better at Christmas time. Ian.

Last edited:

Mortellan

Explorer
After carpetbombing Gencon last year with hype, for what it's worth now it looks like WotC won't even be at this year's Gencon (albeit out of their control). It's just ironic to me.

Remove ads