• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The D&D audience is rebelling? Nah.
You really didn't remember the OGL debacle? People dropping DnDBeyond subscriptions like crazy?

Sorry, you are either denying history or completely ignorant of it. Either case there is no reason to continue this conversation because you are not equipped to have it without knowledge of what happened a bit more than a year ago.

TiQuinn

Correlation is not causation. Stranger Things and Critical Role taking off correlste with 5E's continued growth (it was already big before they came out and growing fast), but they didn't cuase the success trend. They were part of the trend.
Of course, correlation is not causation. But the original statement I was responding to was indicating zero correlation as well.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Of course, correlation is not causation. But the original statement I was responding to was indicating zero correlation as well.
Right, but there ia no evidence of either Stranger Things or Critical Role causing any spike, rather than being part of the general trend.

Dire Bare

Legend
You really didn't remember the OGL debacle? People dropping DnDBeyond subscriptions like crazy?

Sorry, you are either denying history or completely ignorant of it. Either case there is no reason to continue this conversation because you are not equipped to have it without knowledge of what happened a bit more than a year ago.
Oh I remember. Loud complaints on the internet. Again, hardly a majority of fans. Most fans were (and still are) completely unaware of the OGL issue.

It was certainly enough of an issue to cause WotC to change course on the OGL.

Folks dropping DDB subscriptions "like crazy"? Again, citation needed on that assertion.

WotC blundered. SOME fans got very loudly upset, issue got some negative media attention . . . and WotC corrected course and released the SRD into CC. They fixed their blunder. Some folk are still big mad about it, most of us have moved on.

TiQuinn

You said, "So you’re saying they had zero correlation? No one was drawn to D&D by virtue of Critical Role or Stranger Things. "

You asked about correlation, and immediately afterwards causation.

So, please forgive us if that's what we did think you were saying.

I’m sorry but people trot out correlation and causation without understanding that causation cannot be proven without proper controls for all other existing variables which is difficult if not impossible in the real world, and certainly not possible for the financial world where there are numerous variables, none of which can be fully controlled making anyone who discusses correlation and causation in that context sound like someone who read something smart off the internet once upon a time and just repeats it every time they see the word “correlation”. 😉

Parmandur

Book-Friend
What “general trend” and who said “spike”?
The sales trends for 5E were a steady upwards increase from before either Stranger Thifns or Critical Role started, and co tinied steadily on afterwards. Obviously I do not think they hurt 5E, but 5E was successful already before them and there is no particular increase that correlates with this shows coming around more than before or after. So they correlate with 5E beig successful, but on the other hand there is no correlation of any special increase either so there is no particular reason to suspect a causal relationship.

Remove ads