• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Who tried to end the OGL?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It doesn't make sense to you. Makes sense to me.
It makes sense to you that documents which are 100% open content might have closed-content IP in them, which everyone in the gaming community has overlooked for more than twenty years? I suppose if it's buried that deep, it would take two years of reviewing to find! :p

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
It's more correct to say that I'm pointing out that their reason doesn't make sense, and other people are complaining because they don't like that.
It is more correct to say that it doesn't make sense to you. Of course how could it as we don't know the reason!

I'm only interested in what you are complaining about.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It is more correct to say that it doesn't make sense to you. Of course how could it as we don't know the reason!
It's more correct to say that it doesn't make sense to any rational scrutiny. Or do you think that those 100% Open Game Content documents have WotC IP that's in danger of being made into open content if it's released into the Creative Commons?
I'm only interested in what you are complaining about.
Pointing out that WotC's saying that they need so long to review the old SRDs (because otherwise they might release IP that was already released) makes no sense isn't complaining.

It makes sense to you that documents which are 100% open content might have closed-content IP in them, which everyone in the gaming community has overlooked for more than twenty years? I suppose if it's buried that deep, it would take two years of reviewing to find! :p
The issue, as I see it, is that anyone remotely familiar with the 3.5 SRD already knows that there is no IP that needs removing (except from the PI declaration that will be removed anyway with the move to CC). So asking people to point out the IP is moot. Either they are familiar with the 3.5 SRD and know it is a non-issue, or they aren't familiar with it and will just point vaguely in that direction and say "They need to be sure."

So anyone who is actually familiar with the 3.5 SRD could have it ready for CC in 5 minutes.

The problem is that I doubt anyone at WotC is familiar with the 3.5 SRD anymore - especially anyone with sign-off level management authority.

This is pure speculation, but given my experience with corporate thinking, as well as outward signs of how this is being handled, my personal guess is someone high up was furious about the "Strahd" and other stuff that snuck through, tore into a middle manager about it, and that middle manager set up an overly complicated review process to cover their butts and appease upper management. That sounds extremely plausible to me.

It doesn't matter what makes sense or even if any low level employee is familiar with the 3.5 SRD and can assure management that there is nothing that is going to sneak through. The middle management cares more about not getting yelled at by their superiors than doing that makes sense. It is pure speculation on my part but extremely common for a corporate environment.

Oofta

Legend
It's more correct to say that it doesn't make sense to any rational scrutiny. Or do you think that those 100% Open Game Content documents have WotC IP that's in danger of being made into open content if it's released into the Creative Commons?

Pointing out that WotC's saying that they need so long to review the old SRDs (because otherwise they might release IP that was already released) makes no sense isn't complaining.

Let's see. We have two basic options. Either there's some nefarious reason, or it's typical bureaucratic delays and issues we know nothing about combined with a low priority.

I'd bet on bureaucracy.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Let's see. We have two basic options. Either there's some nefarious reason, or it's typical bureaucratic delays and issues we know nothing about combined with a low priority.

I'd bet on bureaucracy.
I'd bet on bureaucracy too, since bureaucracy does nonsensical things all the time; I never said that WotC's reason was "nefarious" or that there was any sort of malicious intent on their part. I just said that it wasn't based on anything rational, as is so adroitly stated two posts above yours.

Oofta

Legend
I'd bet on bureaucracy too, since bureaucracy does nonsensical things all the time; I never said that WotC's reason was "nefarious" or that there was any sort of malicious intent on their part. I just said that it wasn't based on anything rational, as is so adroitly stated two posts above yours.
Why be concerned about it then? It's not a high priority for them, and whether or not you think it's a big deal someone has to be assigned to the project. People are busy working on the new books, probably the same team that's working on finalizing everything.

I just don't see how it's an issue.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Why be concerned about it then? It's not a high priority for them, and whether or not you think it's a big deal someone has to be assigned to the project. People are busy working on the new books, probably the same team that's working on finalizing everything.

I just don't see how it's an issue.
I don't know what you mean by "an issue," but when someone (i.e. WotC) puts forward a ridiculous reason as though it was something sensible, and then other people echo that sentiment ("it just takes time to review it all. They want to make sure they don't put something in there that they shouldn't."), I find merit in pointing out that the emperor has no clothes.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Broken promises? Please.

Missed deadlines? Sure. I miss deadlines all the time, it happens.
When the audience for your game is rebelling and you are losing DnDBeyond subscriptions at a very high rate, and you are doing things to turn it around, you're making promises. If they said "we'll release it to CC" and still hadn't done the 5e SRD now a year+ later, we'd feel they broke their promise, not just that it "slipped in date a bit".

I feel this part feels like a small, unimportant add-on to you, so for you the impact is minimized. But this with all of the full d20 games that were published, on top of the 3pp supplements, this is actually a bigger deal than the 5e SRD being put in by one measure.

So here's my response to you in the form of a choose your own adventure.

If they hadn't yet put the 5e SRD into CC yet...
...and Dire Bare thought it was a broken promise, then it can be the same to others for 3.x SRDs.
...and Dire Bare thought it was just a slipped deadline, then they would find themselves out of sync with the majority of players who would be still calling for WotC's virtual head.

Remove ads