• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 2E Which is the better fantasy rpg and why: D&D 5e or Pathfinder 2e?

Horwath

Legend
I like the 3 action economy, they could have make it 6 actions(for 6 seconds turn to get more tactical with actions).

But I hate that they kept the number treadmill of +1 to EVERYTHING per level. That is a bad decision.

Also it kinda reminds me of 4E in class design which is big red flag.

Also I hate the racial(ancestry) feat mechanics.
It would be nice for cultural traits, but not that are clearly genetics.
maybe if you get 4 or 5 of those feats at 1st level...

so my vote goes clearly to 5E

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
On PF2, I've yet to play it propperly. But it clearly is something I'm not too fond of. To begin with, it lacks continuity with PF1 and inherits all of the fiddleness of late stage PF1, just turned up to eleven. I'd rather have something more in line with the begginer box or closer to pure 3.5.

Overall it gives me flashbacks to 4e, but not in a good way.(I like 4e, btw. )

On 5e, it is simple -a bit too simple, but I can live with it-. There's plenty of content, and it is easy to run, teach and convert to.

gyor

Legend
Between the two of them, I'd say 5e has the best engine, but Pathfinder is starting to look more promising as WotC shows no interest in developing their system.

I like 5e's system alot better, but WotC lacks ambition and can be lazy, were as Paizo's system is flawed, but very ambitious and they frankly seem to work harder then WotC. You'd never see Paizo Reprint stuff so much and so often, you'd never seem them fill 17 pages with pure filler like names, and so on.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am distrubingly committed to the Forgotten Realms, and I like the 5e system better, I would have dumped 5e and WotC for Paizo and Pathfinder years ago, they have a better work ethic IMHO and are less timid in their ambitions and they don't have useless filler in their books.

But alas, I can only hope WotC becomes more like Paizo.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I like 5e's system alot better, but WotC lacks ambition and can be lazy, were as Paizo's system is flawed, but very ambitious and they frankly seem to work harder then WotC. You'd never see Paizo Reprint stuff so much and so often, you'd never seem them fill 17 pages with pure filler like names, and so on.

If it wasn't for the fact that I am distrubingly committed to the Forgotten Realms, and I like the 5e system better, I would have dumped 5e and WotC for Paizo and Pathfinder years ago, they have a better work ethic IMHO and are less timid in their ambitions and they don't have useless filler in their books.

But alas, I can only hope WotC becomes more like Paizo.
Well, I mean, I used to think that PF 1 was just the game you played if you wanted to play a better version of 3.5, but it has become so much more than that. I don't get the same impression as you, that the 5E designers are lazy, but I would agree that the Pathfinder designers are more vigorous in terms of releases, crunch, and not (often) making filler pages in sourcebooks.

I do, however, strongly, strongly disagree. 5E designers are not lazy by any means.

Well, they're not lazy most of the time.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
What are you looking for in a game? That will determine which is better.

There's plenty of room for different feel in the same wide genre. Warhammer, for example, had a very different feel then D&D and the mechanics supported that feel vs. Big Tent D&D supporting a wider variety of styles. Which does that make inherently better? Neither. Warhammer provided the feel you want for some things, D&D for others.

I'm glad we have variety that people can find choices that are the best fit for them instead of one-size-fits-all. So I guess "D&D 5e and PF2" beats D&D 5e or PF2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads