• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E When can we expect 5th edition?

Azgulor

Adventurer
Assuming WotC learned not to repeat the .5 issue, my guess in 2011 - 2012. I'm also guessing that they've learned not to repeat the branding snafu of a .5 release but that corporate targets will dictate a 'core-rulebook-reissue' cycle. My money's on the cycle being in 3-4 years, not 8-10.

Awakened

First Post
Damn straight. 4e is aging poorly on these forums, it's time for some 5e speculation. Hell, if Azgulor is right, they're working on it now.
I want to start a campaign setting that consists of the Wizards of the Coast Office, and their multiple layers of basements. 4e is being worked on in level 2, 5e in level 3, 6e in level 4, and toddlers with superbrains and Gleemax brain-in-jars (you knew they had a purpose) are working on LEGENDS EDITION.

Driddle

First Post
I'd like to see more open-ended speculation in 5th edition and less specialized rumormongering about specific classes that we've experienced with 4th ed.

Goken100

First Post
This is a silly and meaningless topic... I like...

From what they said at GenCon, the Wizards folks are going to be quite busy with 4th Edition for a while. Even a complete paranoid couldn't expect the official development of 5th Edition to begin until after the rules of 4th are finally hammered out (which is not right now).

That said, I wonder if there aren't a few ideas that already came up in 4th's development that were a little too wild too soon. For example, it's possible 4th Edition will do away with AC in favor of the 3 defenses that we can see in Star Wars Saga Edition (I HOPE I HOPE I HOPE). This change would have been a hard one to fit in on the heals of all the other Earth-shattering innovations in 3rd Edition. But now, no problemo!

What if the WoTC visionaries are planning to do away with Hit Point increases in favor of defensive increases when 5th Edition comes out. Wouldn't that be cool!

frankthedm

First Post
I have a feeling the Next edition won't come with a "5" or a ".5". Wotc is to savvy for that mistake. The next great upheaval will be heralded with a letter, not a number. it will be targeted at those who more out of the streamlined ruleset.

4th edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
frankthedm said:
I have a feeling the Next edition won't come with a "5" or a ".5". Wotc is to savvy for that mistake. The next great upheaval will be heralded with a letter, not a number. it will be targeted at those who more out of the streamlined ruleset.

4th edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons

At the D&D Q&A I attended, they specifically said there would be no 4.0, 4.5, etc. It would just be 4th edition. :)

Lord Zardoz

Explorer
Azgulor said:
Assuming WotC learned not to repeat the .5 issue, my guess in 2011 - 2012. I'm also guessing that they've learned not to repeat the branding snafu of a .5 release but that corporate targets will dictate a 'core-rulebook-reissue' cycle. My money's on the cycle being in 3-4 years, not 8-10.

Actually, I would say your right IF 4th Edition is a failure.

If 4th Edition is successful, I would put it at 6 to 7 years (consistent with the iteration cycle of a home video game console).

END COMMUNICATION

Scribble

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
At the D&D Q&A I attended, they specifically said there would be no 4.0, 4.5, etc. It would just be 4th edition. :)

4th Edition "redux."

:p

5th edition will start to "formulate" as soon as you see the message boards go from the majority saying "I can't believe you would question the wisdom of 4e's X way of doing this..." to:

Well, yeah, it COULD be done better, but it works...

Odhanan

Adventurer
In all seriousness, I don't know when, I don't know how, but I think some time, the name "Advanced Dungeons and Dragons" will be brought back from the dead. Just gut feeling, mind you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads