• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR What's your brand of Basic?

What edition/clone do you use for basic?

• Holmes

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • BECMI

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Basic Fantasy

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Blueholmes

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Dark Dungeons

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Labyrinth Lord

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Microlite81

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old-School Essentials

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • S&W

Votes: 7 11.3%

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I can enjoy playing any flavor of D&D but have never been tempted to go back to running games or joining a long campaign using any of the original basis rules. Do ODD-inspired games count? You have S&W listed, so I suppose...yes?

If so, I've really enjoyed the Dungeon Crawl Classics games I've played in and have been tempted to buy the rules.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
enjoy playing any flavor of D&D but have never been tempted to go back to running games or joining a long campaign using any of the original basis rules. Do ODD-inspired games count? You have S&W listed, so I suppose...yes?
I wasn't going to include it, but somehow it keeps popping up so I obliged.

Orius

Legend
None of them. I prefer AD&D/3e. I find them useful for old school elements that are covered poorly in my preferred versions, and of the various versions, RC is what I'd likely go with since it compiles Moldvay, Cook, and Mentzer into a single package.

Zardnaar

Legend
It's on PoD. I've been meaning to get it, but I'll need to pony up a good buck for the postage and customs.

It's postage and customs here as well. I picked up a pile of stuff in 2004 and Amazon did some free postage some years back so Basic Fantasy was $5 and ACKs was cheap as well.

ACKs with B/W interior was cheap enough to print out as well and bind it.

RogueRonin

Explorer
I've used Labyrinth Lord and LotFP and enjoyed them both. I think in the future I'll probably be using Old School Essentials. I've been running Tomb of Annihilation for the past year or so, and when that's done, the next game will be OSE as a test run. If the players like using the books (I expect they will) it'll be the go-to B/X from now on.

Tallifer

Hero
Labyrinth Lord is a very tidy and clear version. My Dungeon Master now runs Westmarches in his own homebrewed version of Moldvay Basic pulling in some Oriental Adventures flavour and a few abilities from other editions.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Not seeing either DCCRPG or Hackmaster on the list I'll guess you see those as 1e variants rather than 0e/Basic?

There's also something called Adventures Deep and Dark, which hews very close to 1e inmany ways.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Not seeing either DCCRPG or Hackmaster on the list I'll guess you see those as 1e variants rather than 0e/Basic?

There's also something called Adventures Deep and Dark, which hews very close to 1e inmany ways.
To be honest, I know nothing of DCC, I thought it was more of a board game. Not sure, I totally forgot it existed. Sorry.

And well, this is about flavors of Basic, so AD&D clones and Hackmaster are obviously not invited. n_n

Remove ads