• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

OSR What's your brand of Basic?

What edition/clone do you use for basic?

• Holmes

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • B/X

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • BECMI

Votes: 28 45.2%
  • Rules Cyclopedia

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • Basic Fantasy

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Blueholmes

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Dark Dungeons

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Labyrinth Lord

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • Lamentations of the Flame Princess

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Microlite81

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Old-School Essentials

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • S&W

Votes: 7 11.3%

Cyan Wisp

Explorer
I said BECMI, however my preferred method of teaching kids to DM is 5e Basic Rules (not listed for some reason). It's free, current, and the rules are (mostly) intuitive. A few students have since bought their own 5e PHBs and so the cycle continues.

Personally, I started on the Red Box in 1985 and subsequently owned and loved Expert, Companion, and Master, but found AD&D before I bought Immortal. Those boxed sets were simply excellent.

My "transition" into AD&D was solely from my big sister unknowingly buying me an AD&D module for a b'day present (A1: Slavepits of the Undercity). I read it - the art wasn't as good, tbh - but I was utterly baffled and intrigued by mention of shocking, heretical things like half-orcs, cleric/assassins, and fighter/magic-user/thieves! I didn't look back after I got my AD&D PHB.

If there was no 5e, I'd probably go back to BECMI for "My Basic" rather than try to learn a new, likely convoluted, system.

Remove ads