• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What's Scarred Lands like?

Sulimo

First Post
Nightfall said:
But you did pick up the Screen so it cannot be ALL bad to get some crunchy stuff eh Sul? ;)

Not Yet :) I dont think it has reached our blessed isle yet. But yeah I will be picking it up for the DM companion - for the stuff on races and the adventures.

Btw, I answered your question about Warren, at least as much as I know. I HAD heard, and maybe JD can confirm this, that there will be at least TWO new ratmen along with some maps hopeful. (Not sure about the Maps but I know I'D like them)

Yeah. Thanks. It should be cool.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Sulimo said:
Not Yet I dont think it has reached our blessed isle yet. But yeah I will be picking it up for the DM companion - for the stuff on races and the adventures.

Mmm well I can say you'll like it. The adventures are good, but I think I like the second one, Kadum's Horn, more than the first. But that's just personal preference. The stuff on the races IS good. Really the difference between the races is miminal compared to what's presented in DMG for racial stats. But there are some cool changes, like dark elves do have spell like abilities, but just blur and mirror image. Other than that, not much else. No gnomes (sure someone is dissappointed!), but there are the usual stuff you'd expect to find on the races in Ghelspad.

Sulimo

First Post
Nightfall said:

Mmm well I can say you'll like it. The adventures are good, but I think I like the second one, Kadum's Horn, more than the first. But that's just personal preference. The stuff on the races IS good. Really the difference between the races is miminal compared to what's presented in DMG for racial stats. But there are some cool changes, like dark elves do have spell like abilities, but just blur and mirror image. Other than that, not much else. No gnomes (sure someone is dissappointed!), but there are the usual stuff you'd expect to find on the races in Ghelspad.

Personally, I'm more interested in the human races and the Forsaken Elves & Dwarves. Especially the elves - I cant wait for that trilogy.

Nightfall

Well since you asked Sul. :) The humans themselves have a variant rule, so you can choose a region (almost like a regional feat from FR), and you gain pluses and minuses based on that region. The Forsaken elves have the following stat adjustment, -2 to str and con and +2 to dex and int. Everything else is the same as basic high elf with only these changes: Most forsaken elves are usually middle aged, and characters playing these elves must be 150 years old. They cannot advance in clerical level past 2nd unless they have another patron deity. They gain an extra 50% starting gold, and their favored class is either cleric or wizard. They have to choose which one when they start.

Now if you're referring to the forsaken dwarves, they gain +2 on attacks when working with another forsaken dwarf or another dwarf that's within 5 feet of them. +2 to all craft checks relating to trapmaking. +2 to Intimidate checks. Favored Class is either fighter or rogue.

Hope that helps some.

Sulimo

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well since you asked Sul. :) The humans themselves have a variant rule, so you can choose a region (almost like a regional feat from FR), and you gain pluses and minuses based on that region.

Ahh. I'm more interested in the descriptive stuff about these races rather than mechanics. Kalamar does it well in that respect. Hopefully the HC goes into similar detail.

The Forsaken elves have the following stat adjustment, -2 to str and con and +2 to dex and int. Everything else is the same as basic high elf with only these changes: Most forsaken elves are usually middle aged, and characters playing these elves must be 150 years old. They cannot advance in clerical level past 2nd unless they have another patron deity. They gain an extra 50% starting gold, and their favored class is either cleric or wizard. They have to choose which one when they start.

Now if you're referring to the forsaken dwarves, they gain +2 on attacks when working with another forsaken dwarf or another dwarf that's within 5 feet of them. +2 to all craft checks relating to trapmaking. +2 to Intimidate checks. Favored Class is either fighter or rogue.

Hope that helps some.

Yeah. Quite a bit. Thanks.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sulimo said:
Ahh. I'm more interested in the descriptive stuff about these races rather than mechanics. Kalamar does it well in that respect. Hopefully the HC goes into similar detail

Well there a little description, mostly about their natures, like Gascar Cities and Dunahnae, very scholar, black haired and weak in body. But you'll probably get more in the HC. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It seems to be shaping up QUITE well.

Sulimo

First Post
Nightfall said:

Well there a little description, mostly about their natures, like Gascar Cities and Dunahnae, very scholar, black haired and weak in body. But you'll probably get more in the HC. I'm REALLY looking forward to it. It seems to be shaping up QUITE well.

Yeah. I can't wait. Its going to be interesting, there's plenty of good competition out there with regards to similar tomes. The Realms & Greyhawk books are good in their own ways, and Kingdoms of Kalamar is outstanding, and from what I've seen the Codex of Erde is excellent also.

Personally, I hope it takes a similar focus to KoK with the emphasis on setting detail rather than new rules. Especially in regards to cultural details. And a more detailed poster map too :)

Nightfall

Well Sul I think we won't have to worry about two things that FRCS had. One: lots of pages dedicated to JUST NPCs. (That's what the Wise and the Wicked is for). Two: no monsters, or at least VERY, VERY few. I know there WILL be encounter tables. Sulaco mentioned this earlier that there will be encounter tables for each of the different terrians/places. I also know there will probably be details and plot hooks, but there probably won't be a vast amount of detail about each major city, other than what you'd expect.

But I do agree, a bigger map that's a pull out map would DEFINATELY work for me.

Sulimo

First Post
Nightfall said:
Well Sul I think we won't have to worry about two things that FRCS had. One: lots of pages dedicated to JUST NPCs. (That's what the Wise and the Wicked is for). Two: no monsters, or at least VERY, VERY few.

Yeah. Same with spells and items, as they can go in R&R2 :)

I know there WILL be encounter tables. Sulaco mentioned this earlier that there will be encounter tables for each of the different terrians/places. I also know there will probably be details and plot hooks, but there probably won't be a vast amount of detail about each major city, other than what you'd expect.

Yeah. The regional encounter tables will be nice to see. Will give people a better idea of what kinds of creature inhabit the various regions.

As for details on cities, if they want lots of details on specific areas, they just need to another sourcebook. Like Hedrad ;)

Now more detail on nations I really want, like Vesh and Calastia rather than getting down to the city level in a detailed way.

But I do agree, a bigger map that's a pull out map would DEFINATELY work for me.

Thats one of the areas where the FRCS excelled. Not that I want to come down hard on S&S's cartographers.

Nightfall

Sulimo said:
Yeah. The regional encounter tables will be nice to see. Will give people a better idea of what kinds of creature inhabit the various regions.

Yeah not mention let me figure out whether placing a lot of one creature type like say a Quicksilver Stalker or a Locust Demon

Sulimo said:
As for details on cities, if they want lots of details on specific areas, they just need to another sourcebook. Like Hedrad :)

:) You and that city Sul. If I get in, I'll see what I can do about maybe writing some stuff. Not a promise or anything but just have to see how it goes for me.

Sulimo said:
Now more detail on nations I really want, like Vesh and Calastia rather than getting down to the city level in a detailed way.

Well that does make sense. Course I always say you cannot know a country until you get a feel for some of their cities.

Sulimo said:
Thats one of the areas where the FRCS excelled. Not that I want to come down hard on S&S's cartographers.

*nods* I understand but I do agree. I hope they get some good cartographers, and maybe then they can have a truly GREAT map.

Remove ads