• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D?

What would you actually want from an arcane half-caster in 1D&D PHB?

Tell me if there are missing choices I need to add, I'll be around for 20-30 minutes.

So for the PHB itself I just want the artificer. It's established in 5e. It has a solid theme and class story. And it has unique mechanics. It works well as a half caster due to that leaving space in the power budget to have impactful subclasses, which all completely change how the class plays. Putting it in the PHB would ensure that it's supported throughout ODnD rather than being forgotten as an afterthought like the 5e artificer.

For a gish/duskblade/magus/swordmage/witcher class, that doesn't need to be a half caster in my mind (though it could be a half caster), and shouldn't be in the PHB. It has no history in 5e, and so would probably need more time to bake via playtests. It lacks any class story at all currently which is probably one of the reasons it's never stuck throughout editions. Giving it a class story such as witcher would actually give it a concept to build around. Maybe with subclasses based on different creature types which it hunts.

Mechanically its signature ability should be inflicting magical effects and elemental damage via weapon strikes. But how it does this could differ wildly depending on the implementation. It could function like the old spellstrike mechanic, but with how spells work in 5e/ODnD that would probably be messy. It could get a nice selection of blade cantrips, but cantrips don't make a class ability. It could get a good selection of spells like searing smite and ensnaring strike. It has the same problem as the bladetrips, but at least the spell level varies.

It could even be not a caster at all, and use strikes like the arcane archer uses shots. Picking them up like a warlock picks up invocations.

mellored

Legend
Hexblade-like scaling spell slots.
With some kind of cast+attack feature.

Also more spells that work well with attacking. Similar to smites, ensnaring strike, arcane archer stuff.

I.e.
Surprise strike.
As a bonus action you teleport 30', and have Advantage on your next attack this turn, as the enemy doesn't know what direction it came from.

Relocation slash
When you hit an enemy, you can teleport them 30'.

Which may or may not be the magus, never played pf2.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Ugh. Fine.

We can do this ridiculous dance again. At least it beats talking about the OGL.

The swordmage is an esoteric/mystical swordmaster. Like…I truly cannot fathom how anyone could see that as insufficient by itself.

The game has a dozen different object lessons in why this basic archetype should be a class, because every single “gish” subclass frankly sucks at being a gish. Even the ones that are mechanically strong. Because the base class is still there doing something completely different from the desired archetype.

Which is an esoteric/mystical (ie, in D&D terms, magical) weapon master. Someone who uses knowledge and magic (which in D&D generally means arcane magic) as part of their martial tradition, not as two totally separate things they’re kinda good at.

Remove ads