• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What type of ranger would your prefer for 2024?

What type of ranger?

• Spell-less Ranger

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • Spellcasting Ranger

Votes: 63 51.6%

Chaosmancer

Legend
this would be 2-3 pages per character. for 10 characters. That is not a huge investment.

and it's a starter set, you do not have a choice but what is given to you.

You realize that a 30 page, bound book, with art... is still going to cost money and take up space... right? Like, even if you just "include it" with the starter set, you are going to be making the starter set more expensive and take up more space on shelves.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Ugh, don't get me started about the prevailing design of the Mark/Favoured Enemy/whatever ability. They're never that interesting, but they're never even that strong either. It may just be that I don't have the mind for balance, but. I hate when any of the main Ranger abilities that we've had are declared overpowered. Like they need to be made once per turn, or concentration, or have the damage die reduced. Hell, even being single target irks me, but that's always been an assumed requirement. For an additional damage die, on a class that can't do anything more with it than anyone else. It's not like they're Fighters with their bucket full of extra attacks and means of getting more.

All that said, I didn't necessarily mean a unique signature ability for Ranger being that jumping off point, I think it should be a given that they have that. I want something on the flavour side that informs what follows. Like with Paladin, yeah the Auras are what's mechanically unique and interesting about them of course, but the main thing is they're walking embodiments of ideology that turn that belief into power, that's what's thematically interesting about them before you even start playing as one or with one.

Like I say, Bard got a nearly 300 word new lore write-up in the last playtest! Their place in the roster, their connection to the weave, it's unique and solid! I want that for Ranger! When you describe what the Ranger is to new players, or when characters talk about their power in-game, I want there to be something else to say besides "they're like not as good Druids but they use swords and stuff".

Oh, I agree, I just think form can follow function. Give the rangers a unique, interesting signature ability, and it may clarify what is otherwise difficult to put into words.

But, that is also some idealism, I will admit.

Remove ads