• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What stuff from 3.5e/3e/2e/1e/od&d should go into 5.5e?

Voadam

Legend
Wow! It's pretty impressive.

Of course, it also illustrates the difficulty in adding such a complicated class to the game - 40-odd pages is a lot of real estate to take up for a single class writeup.
Spellcasting classes take up a ton of real estate too if you include their spells. :)

Here the class takes up 12 pages then there are 28 pages of individual vestiges.

Dwarf and Elf as class.
Okay, not quite like that. But I really liked the idea of a D&D starter box that presents the Dwarf and Elf as classes - and when you get the full rules, you understand that the Dwarf is really a Dwarven Battlerage Fighter and the Elf an Elven Wizard specialized in Enchantment, or something like that.
I can't really explain why I like it, but I find it appealing. Maybe it's because it would require the system to allow race and class to be flexible tools to create something with a distinct flavor, and it would teach players how to do it for themselves.

Tinker-TDC

Explorer
I mean, designing a whole 5/10 levels you're not expecting the players to play constrains the coolness of design you can add. If the game was 10 levels and then maybe had a whole different system for levels 11-20 I'd be all in on that.

d24454_modern

Explorer
I mean, I think the real solution is to mash all the abilities classes have right now into the first 10 levels (rebalancing spells so your highest spell level is equal to your character level) and then make levels 11+ into just more uses per long rest for the stuff you already have.
Real-talk: This sounds like a horrible idea.

It would actively discourage people from leveling up since they know that they won't get anything out of it past level 10.

P.S. I should've put "/s" after my text since too many people took it seriously.

Hussar

Legend
Thing is, the whole, "the game only really goes to level 11 or so" is not a terribly strange point of view. Most of the Adventure Paths have only gone to about 11th level (or so). And, the meat and potatoes of the adventures are generally focused on the single digit levels.

This has always been an issue in D&D thought. The biggest hurdle, IMO, is that it just takes so damn long to hit double digit levels, if you play from 1st level, that most campaigns just finish before then. If it takes a group a year to hit 10th or 11th level, which my groups have, well, by that point, the campaign is largely done and people want to move on to something else. I know I do.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Spellcasting classes take up a ton of real estate too if you include their spells. :)

Here the class takes up 12 pages then there are 28 pages of individual vestiges.
That's all true. But given that these days multiple classes can use the same spell, the spell section is a resource for multiple classes, not unlike combat or environmental conditions. As vestiges are only usable by the one class, it's more like including 28 pages of Battlemaster maneuvers.

I'm not saying I don't like it. It's just very space-intensive.

Greg K

Legend
1e
  • Racial Strength, Dex, and Con maximums (18 +/- current stat mod)
  • Max Hit Die
  • subclass at first level
  • Unearthed Arcana's non-raging Barbarian (but renamed) as a non-raging, non magical/mystical, wilderness expert warrior, but with David Howery's revisions from Dragon
  • % in Lair
  • Complete Alchemist's Handbook (Bard Games)
2e
  • Priests of Specific Mythoi and Spheres of influence
  • The Complete Handbooks updated to use 5e
    • Kits become quick builds
    • incorporates 5e Backgrounds and Feats
    • Where necessary introduces new Backgrounds and Feats
    • Updates equipment , magic items,and spells to 5e
    • Jacob Driscoll, on ENWorld, has already updated the Complee Fighter's Handbook, Complete Thief's Handbook, Complete Priest's Handbook, Complete Wizard's Handbook, Complete Bard's Handbook, and Complete Dwarves' Handbook
    • David Howery's Completing the Complete Figheter from Dragon Magazine updated to 5e
    • Jon Winter's Completing the Complete Bard from Dragon Magazine updated
3e
  • Skill Points as a variant in the DMG
  • Green Ronin's Psychic's Handbook (including the Psychic Class)
  • Green Ronin's Shaman Handbook (including the Shaman Class (perhaps as a Cleric variant class including its own list)
  • Green Ronin's Witch Handbook (including the Witch Class)
  • The Cloistered Cleric Variant from Unearthed Arcana
  • The Martial and Wilderness Rogue Variants from Unearthed Arcana
  • The Holy Warrior (i.e. spell-less) Paladin variant from Complete Champion
  • The Champion of the Wild Ranger (i.e. spell-less) variant from Complete Champion
  • Armor as Damage Reduction variant from UA as a variant in the DMG
  • Blue Devil's Poisoncraft updated
  • Monkey God Enterprises's From Stone to Steel updated
  • Skirmisher Press's Insults & Injuries updated
  • Tiny and Large PC races
4e
  • Deva
  • Avenger as a class
    • In the meantime, Sterling Vermin has a 2.0 version of the Avenger class on its website
  • Warden as a class
    • In the meanttime, Mage Hand Press has a Warden class
  • Warlord as a class
    • In the meantime, JodyLee (on DMsGuild), Kibble's Tasty (website), Robet Schwalb (Drivethru) all have a Warlord class

Remove ads