• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What spells can find a person?

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
What spells, including those from d20 sources, can be used to locate a person?

Presently in my list I have Divination, and in cases Scry. Anything else?

the Jester

Legend
I was gonna say that! :)

Also, I believe discern location... you could use locate object as long as you know an object the person you're looking for has. And of course, greater scrying as well.

There's prolly some monster summonings or callings that could do it for you, too, but I'm not sure.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Ah... :p

Unfortunately that's very short ranged. I'm not one of those people who's memorized the spell list. What I need is something to have the PCs be able to find a person about a day's travel away.

shilsen

Adventurer
arcady said:
I'm not one of those people who's memorized the spell list.

Shame on you! Go to the back of the class!

What I need is something to have the PCs be able to find a person about a day's travel away.

Discern Location, which the Jester mentioned above. It can locate someone on a different plane and give you his mailing address. Pretty spiffy.

Lamoni

First Post
This probably doesn't apply to your situation, but Helping Hand can also be nice (Cleric level 3). It doesn't help you to know where the person is, but it can help lead the person to your location (once you get within 5 miles). This is nice if they aren't held captive, but merely lost, on vacation, or something similar. Even if they are held captive, it can let them know from what direction you are coming and they can try to make themselves more available to be rescued. The spell is best used in conjunction with other spells or when you are the one that is captive and can't leave.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads