• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What powers should be next on the Errata Block?

Since the errata also gave us a lot of rules changes, I'd like to suggest that they change all of the "-X to saves" powers to read "the foe saves on a (10+X)+, and may apply bonuses to the roll".
Makes ZERO difference mathematically. Not needed.

That means spell focus makes saves a 12+. I would also like to see the wizard's orb power changed, but to be honest, with this change the worst you can do is force 20+ saves on people, which means normal monsters are SOL, but elites and brutes at least have a chance.
The orb needs its penalty reduced to 1/2 WIS mod. Another possible fix is to only apply the penalty on the first save.

I think that sure/careful attack/strike need only minor help: both versions should be classified as basic attacks. At that point they become viable choices (always for a fighter, and sometimes for a ranger).
Did you even SEE the math on it? Sure Strike and Careful Attack are INFERIOR to BASIC ATTACKS.

No, this does NOT fix it. AT ALL. I'm not sure it's 100% fixable, but upgrading from +2 to +4 would at least be good damage control.

Well, I'd really like it if they fixed multiclassing so it wasn't quite so lame. For instance, if you take Pact Initiate and intend to pursue a warlock paragon path, you'll miss out on a lot of stuff because there is _no_ way to get Warlock's Curse, which renders a lot of your abilities useless. That's not really 'errata,' though.

sukael

First Post
Well, I'd really like it if they fixed multiclassing so it wasn't quite so lame. For instance, if you take Pact Initiate and intend to pursue a warlock paragon path, you'll miss out on a lot of stuff because there is _no_ way to get Warlock's Curse, which renders a lot of your abilities useless. That's not really 'errata,' though.

Something like this would be nice. My suggestion would be that if you do the paragon multiclass thing (instead of taking a normal paragon path), you get some or all of the other class' basic class features.

Runestar

First Post
My final dislike of the class is their ability to take feats from both humans and elves racial feats. Sounds good in theory, but in practice a lot of the best elf racial feats are based off their elven accuracy power, which the half elf can't get!

Maybe we will get more racial feats in a future splatbook. So the ability wouldn't be entirely useless, just ahead of its time.;)

David Sid

First Post
Did you even SEE the math on it? Sure Strike and Careful Attack are INFERIOR to BASIC ATTACKS.

No, this does NOT fix it. AT ALL. I'm not sure it's 100% fixable, but upgrading from +2 to +4 would at least be good damage control.

I'll voice my support for making sure strike a melee basic attack. It generally is weaker than a vanilla basic attack in terms of damage, but it has extra utility with the fighter: he can use it with Combat Superiority to make certain he stops an enemy who tries to get away.

On the other hand, I agree that making careful attack a basic attack is useless. If it's going to be a viable alternative to twin strike, or at least a useful power, it needs a major leap in power and/or a unique utility. (The house rule that I'm currently trying is some of both: Change careful attack's attack line to "Attack: Strength + 2 vs. AC (melee) or Dexterity + 2 vs. AC (ranged). Make two attack rolls and use whichever roll is higher.")

Reaper Steve

Explorer
Can someone explain to me the issue with Careful Attack and Sure Strike? I understand they do less damage than a basic attack, but they also have a +2 to hit over a basic attack.

I can see how Careful Attack is a poor choice compared to Twin Strike... I'd much rather take two chances to hit and damage than just one chance at +2. So, as best I can tell, it's not that Careful Attack sucks compared to a basic attack, it's that Twin Strike is a much better choice.

I don't see the prob with Sure strike, though... better chance to hit, but it costs you your STR mod to damage. Wait... is that the point? A 1st lvl character with an 18 STR has to give up +4 to damage to get +2 to hit, a 10lvl with 20 STR has to give up +10 to damage for +2 to hit, etc. Is it the economy of scale that's the issue?

If so, just remember...that extra +2 to hit may make the difference between doing some damage or missing and doing none at all.

I'm intrigued and would love an explanation or reference to a thread discussing this.

eamon

Explorer
Also, let me throw in a vote for the paladin's sacred circle. A 2nd level utility that is in every way weaker than the cleric's shield of faith.
That's not important. There are a bunch of ranger powers that outclass fighter powers - should fighter powers be improved? The paladin and the cleric are different classes with different features. A cleric is better at buffing, and it's not surprising that the paladin's buffs aren't as good.

You should compare sacred circle to other paladin utility spells. In that context, it's an interesting choice. It's power level is OK.

eamon

Explorer
I agree that the ranger power (Careful Attack) is in need of improvement. Sure Strike, perhaps, but less so.

It's not truee that sure strike is inferior to a basic attack. Sure, if your aim to to deal damage, then sure strike isn't worth it. But if you're fighting a minion, that +2 is worth more than any damage. And, given heavy blade opportunity and it's interaction with the fighter's movement stopping ability (combat superiority), sometimes a little more damage is worth less than a higher chance of actually stopping that opponent. In the extreme case, if you're a polearm gamble pitfighter, then stopping opponents safely one square away is potentially very valuable.

I'd say that if they errata careful attack or sure strike, careful attack should end up better than sure strike.

Runestar

First Post
Well, multiclassing can be used to nab cross-class powers, so an interesting situation may arise when certain powers end up being more powerful/useful for other classes than their own original class (and I am not sure if this was intended or not).

Would it be problematic if a paladin with acolyte power opted to take shield of faith over sacred circle?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads