• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What needs to be fixed in 5E?

Ryujin

Legend
Eliminating attribute bumps, in favour of level based increases only, would eliminate the issue of the ever decreasing third defence.

Eliminating attribute bumps, in favour of level based increases only, would eliminate the issue of the ever decreasing third defence.

It eliminates a LOT of issues.

1) No issues with 3rd defense

2) No need for Masterwork Armor or other armor bonus kludges. This kills off ALL issues with things like CON based light armor classes and eliminates a vast array of 'patch' feats.

3) Kills most of the divergence between skill bonus values that grow to ridiculous spreads at high levels. This removes most of the logic for a lot of the skill bonus feats and whatnot which cause more problems than they are worth.

Frankly if I could change ONE single thing in 4e it would be to get rid of all the ability score bumps. No single rule change would fix a larger number of mechanical issues in one shot. It means there are some points to be made up in to-hit and defenses in general, but I think that could be pretty easily dealt with one way or another. Maybe just make level bonus = +1/level and then you can ditch enhancement bonus at the same time and just slightly adjust monster defenses so they baseline at the current chance to hit for an 18 attack stat. You can still have magic weapons that have a property that lets them grant an item bonus to-hit against specific creatures or whatever, a +1/tier for say a dragon slaying sword would work fine. It is a significant bonus but it won't trivialize those encounters and would be a pretty desirable and 'special' item for the right character.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
I would sooner see the stat increases done away with entirely than have stat-boosting powers and items creep back into the game. Getting rid of those was one of the better changes they made to 4e, IMHO.

KidSnide

Adventurer
Instead if it were me I'd make daily powers do things like make the next hit an auto-crit or just hit automatically, or do double damage, or something. No need to track anything much, just POW. Other effects could be tracked but make them significant. A -5 to WILL or something actually makes people notice. Obviously the game needs to tweak things a bit to make these kinds of things balanced, and I'd have less dailies out there. Heck, just have ONE daily per character. You want to do your awesome thing? Yeah, it's going to make a big dent in the opposition, but you're going to want to be smart about using it.

This is a good point. It would be better if "bonuses for the entire encounter" were a lot rarer, and daily powers more frequently created a massive advantage for the duration of a turn instead of a small advantage for the duration of the encounter. The pre-errata Rain of Blood power seems like a good example for a daily power.

Also, to the extent there are daily powers that do provide a bonus or penalty for the entire encounter, those powers should be limited. Maybe only level 9/19/29 daily powers provide encounter-length effects? And maybe only leaders grant encounter-length bonuses to the entire party, and only controllers impose encounter-length penalties to an enemy? (Defenders and strikers could provide encounter-length bonuses to themselves.)

I don't see this type of power as something that needs to be excised from the game. There just needs to be some design discipline so there isn't too much of it in the game.

-KS

I very much like the way 4e has altered play balance and made characters more equal with regards to each other... but the cost has been flavor and characterizations.

However, talking about a new version and wish-lists, these are what I would like to see:

Race being split into actual racial benefits {physical attributes} and upbringing {training in weapons, etc..|

Classes being based on 4 archetypes {strong hero, fast hero, smart hero, charismatic hero} and powers available via a 'skills and feats' approach that allows for flexibility in character design

Magic similar to the 'Elements of Magic' system, point based, build your own spell.

Magic items that do cool things instead of add boring bonuses to the math.

Combat that highlights skill over equipment

Social encounter frameworks that aid roleplaying

However, I would like to keep the current monster/encounter building system and all the related math that goes with it. As a DM, I love the ease of monster and encounter building.. that allows me to focus more on setting up the game instead of building critters.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Magic items that do cool things instead of add boring bonuses to the math.

Y'know, I hear that a lot- and I know what it means in MY mind- but I rarely see anyone post examples of what they mean by that. What kind of cool, non-math things do you want?

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Y'know, I hear that a lot- and I know what it means in MY mind- but I rarely see anyone post examples of what they mean by that. What kind of cool, non-math things do you want?

I know what I like.

I like Swords of Sharpness.

I like the original Elvencloak and Elvenboots.

I like the original Ring of Regeneration.

I like the original Staff of Power. Mwa ha ha ha! ;)

You know. Cool stuff. :cool:

I don't like any of the 4E "bracers of adding a few points of damage". :yawn:

Starting with 3E and heavily into 4E, the designers decided that cool stuff equated to some minor specialized magic item for a given class. Like, a Staff of Ruin. Again, adding more damage.

The concept was that every magic item had to play nicely with the normal rules. Elvencloaks and boots couldn't just be a high percentage chance to not be seen, they had to add to Stealth checks. Hence, they were no longer cool.

Ryujin

Legend
I know what I like.

I like Swords of Sharpness.

I like the original Staff of Power. Mwa ha ha ha! ;)

You know. Cool stuff. :cool:

I don't like any of the 4E "bracers of adding a few points of damage". :yawn:

Starting with 3E and heavily into 4E, the designers decided that cool stuff equated to some minor specialized magic item for a given class. Like, a Staff of Ruin. Again, adding more damage.

The concept was that every magic item had to play nicely with the normal rules. Elvencloaks and boots couldn't just be a high percentage chance to not be seen, they had to add to Stealth checks. Hence, they were no longer cool.

Yes, let's hear it for 'retributive strike' :lol:

... and The Rod of Lordly Might; 1e's Swiss Army Knife.

keterys

First Post

Weren't these fairly bland mechanical items? Memory might not serve, here, but the equivalent of +X to Stealth (or Your Stealth is +Y) and Regeneration Z in nowadays terms - fairly bland and crunchy.

MME actually has a bunch of fairly flavorful items. Boots of Leaping, Worm Armor, Death Rods, etc.

Ryujin

Legend
Weren't these fairly bland mechanical items? Memory might not serve, here, but the equivalent of +X to Stealth (or Your Stealth is +Y) and Regeneration Z in nowadays terms - fairly bland and crunchy.

MME actually has a bunch of fairly flavorful items. Boots of Leaping, Worm Armor, Death Rods, etc.

The original Cloak of Elvenkind gave virtual invisibility, in natural surroundings and not so good hiding, in dungeon environs.

Remove ads