• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What might you want to see in a location description?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm describing a few locations for my Astral Plane campaign and cleaning them up for general consumption. In doing so, I'm appreciating that location descriptions in editions of D&D tend to be varied and not always the most useful...

So, in addition to maps (because maps would be nice, but I'm not a cartographer and I don't have the personal budget for one), what might a location description include that you'd be interested in? Dungeons are a little clearer to me than places like towns, settlements, Interesting Scenery, and the like.

As an example, my WIP of the Necropolis of Anubis is attached here: View attachment Locations in Nowhere - Necropolis of Anubis.pdf

It includes
  • Overview of the site
  • Who lives there (ie, what you'll fight if you draw swords)
  • Services PC's can get from there (using Renown to see how willing the locals are to deal with the party)
  • Quests the PC's might go on that involve this site, either as patrons, or as adventure sites.
  • Suggestions on playing a character from this location.
  • Mechanics that locals can use (in this case, the Emablmer feat, stats for using Kebechet and Wepwawet as deities, and stats for necromancers, ostriches, and one particular NPC)

Anything else you can think of that you might want to see?

Last edited:

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Anything else you can think of that you might want to see?
It could include power factions that can be found in the Necropolis. A Background tying directly to the Necropolis could be nice. Another thing i like bout location description is the coin possessions so it gives a general idea of how much money travel in this location and what offer/demand power level there can be, especially when PCs try to sell something of high value to someone for exemple.

PS Nice write up BTW i liked the various services offered and the Embalmer feat too, with a unique built-in tool proficiency.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
A block of boilerplate read-aloud text that describes the PCs' first impression of the site. Give all the senses their own sentence.

aco175

Legend
Anything that would be different from the normal rules of physics on the material plane, like if the water was flowing uphill or light was coming from the floor.

Remove ads