• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What makes an TTRPG a "Narrative Game" (Daggerheart Discussion)

pemerton

Legend
If a player is replaced, the answer to a question about some signifiers (or the next observation of such signifiers), changes.
Not if the new player says the same things, or different things that support the same "ludonarrative". The player is not themself a signifier. They produce them.

As far as "observation" of signifiers go: if the "ludonarrative" changes with a new interpreter, then it is not ergodic literature, is it?

pemerton

Legend
Technical terms are well defined, without the kind of person to person drift and without the contradictions present even in a single posters explanations.
I say nothing about these alleged contradictions.

But its pretty common in philosophy, criticism, literary theory, etc for technical terms to be used by various commentators in related but different, and sometimes competing, ways.

I fail to accept that @pemerton is unable to discern how to coherently play games like TB2 (or BitD if he was so inclined). None of his postings I'm aware of indicate that he would accept some sort of "do it all" action declaration. Sure, I believe players in a game like BW can state certain things to be the case if they can pass a check, but those things do not normally include "win the whole game in a single toss of dice" (well, maybe there's a 'wise' for that? LOL).
Right. Yet he has an issue with the exact same thing if it happens in D&D...

Either it is ok for some things being impossible to be set as stakes, or it is not, pick a lane!

pemerton

Legend
This is an idea I brought up earlier, if 1) the DM has the player indicate via backstory or other method what's important to the character and 2) the DM uses his authority to frame scenes around those things important to the characters, then doesn't the resulting play center around the thematic elements of the characters, and isn't that what natural language use of 'narrative play' should mean? From this perspective the necessity of mechanics associated with the technical term 'narrative play' aren't needed at all to achieve natural language 'narrative play'.
I've got no view over what "narrative play" should mean - it's not a phrase I use.

But your (1) and (2) are one way to engage in narrativist RPGing. But it's not straightforward to divorce your (1) and (2) from mechanics. Suppose, for instance, that a common outcome of the resolution mechanics is that a new situation is created that is largely thematically irrelevant - eg a need for healing, or replenishment of gear. Or suppose that a common feature of the resolution mechanics is that time has to be closely tracked (eg for spell durations), then the GM can't frame scenes in thematically responsive ways if that would require departing from those time-tracking requirements. Or suppose that the principle vehicle of scene-framing is map-and-key - that is, the movement of the PCs across a map is tracked, using distance-per-rate-of-time rules to do that, and the GM uses their key to tell the players what the PCs encounter; it is not easy to reconcile this sort of framing technique with thematically relevant scene-framing. (Torchbearer 2e is the only system I personally know that tackles this issue, via its rules for twists.)

As I've already mentioned in this thread, the points made in the previous paragraph are not theory-craft. I GMed many hundreds of hours of Rolemaster between 1990 and 2008 (inclusive) - my rough estimate would be 2,500 hours. And before that I GMed hundreds of hours of AD&D - my rough estimate would be 1,000 hours. So I am very familiar with the issues that I'm describing.

pemerton

Legend
Right. Yet he has an issue with the exact same thing if it happens in D&D...

Either it is ok for some things being impossible to be set as stakes, or it is not, pick a lane!
Here is the OP of the thread that I mentioned earlier:

Going into the meeting, they knew the ruler was unstable and severely punished any dissent in his land - having heard from various NPCs and seeing it firsthand.

The party got a private audience with the ruler and things were moving friendly enough, when a player (probably bored with the negotiations and playing the "but I have a low Charisma card") decided to trump the party's hand and yell out something to the effect of "you're crazy and don't deserve leadership here." For this affront, the ruler yelled for his guards to come and arrest that character. In response, another party member tried (and failed) to grapple the ruler and put a knife to his throat to take him as a hostage.

The other two characters left the room and proclaimed their innocence. With some good roleplay (and great dice rolls) they were able to convince the ruler and his guards that they had no part of the attack and were allowed to leave.

The two other characters (the would-be assassin and the instigator) were taken to the public stocks to await trial that could end in execution (or at the very least, expulsion from the land).

That night they were given several opportunities to escape the stocks, but the would-be assassin failed and the instigator said he would rather die than let this corrupt man stay in power.​

Is this your model of a GM allowing the player to test the stakes that are meaningful to them in the play of their PC?

I mean, was any test made to see if the ruler falters in the face of the accusation (in Burning Wheel, this could be Intimidate or even Ugly Truth to trigger a Steel check)? Was any test made to see if the guards responded to the PC's accusation, or held back (even in B/X D&D or AD&D this could require a morale check)? I mean, presumably they know that the ruler was unstable and unreasonable - perhaps this was what would change their loyalt?

How was the fallout of the failed attempt to grapple establish? How was the response of the public to these individuals in the stock established? Did any of the attempts to help the PCs escape made by a sympathiser? It doesn't seem like it, given that the player thought - as his PC - that he would rather die that let this corrupt man stay in power.

The notion of resolving the situation in a single roll is a total red herring in analysing this episode in railroading.

Here is the OP of the thread that I mentioned earlier:

Going into the meeting, they knew the ruler was unstable and severely punished any dissent in his land - having heard from various NPCs and seeing it firsthand.​
The party got a private audience with the ruler and things were moving friendly enough, when a player (probably bored with the negotiations and playing the "but I have a low Charisma card") decided to trump the party's hand and yell out something to the effect of "you're crazy and don't deserve leadership here." For this affront, the ruler yelled for his guards to come and arrest that character. In response, another party member tried (and failed) to grapple the ruler and put a knife to his throat to take him as a hostage.​
The other two characters left the room and proclaimed their innocence. With some good roleplay (and great dice rolls) they were able to convince the ruler and his guards that they had no part of the attack and were allowed to leave.​
The two other characters (the would-be assassin and the instigator) were taken to the public stocks to await trial that could end in execution (or at the very least, expulsion from the land).​
That night they were given several opportunities to escape the stocks, but the would-be assassin failed and the instigator said he would rather die than let this corrupt man stay in power.​

Is this your model of a GM allowing the player to test the stakes that are meaningful to them in the play of their PC?

I mean, was any test made to see if the ruler falters in the face of the accusation (in Burning Wheel, this could be Intimidate or even Ugly Truth to trigger a Steel check)? Was any test made to see if the guards responded to the PC's accusation, or held back (even in B/X D&D or AD&D this could require a morale check)? I mean, presumably they know that the ruler was unstable and unreasonable - perhaps this was what would change their loyalt?

How was the fallout of the failed attempt to grapple establish? How was the response of the public to these individuals in the stock established? Did any of the attempts to help the PCs escape made by a sympathiser? It doesn't seem like it, given that the player thought - as his PC - that he would rather die that let this corrupt man stay in power.

The notion of resolving the situation in a single roll is a total red herring in analysing this episode in railroading.

We don't know the details, perhaps several rolls were made maybe not. If it was my game rolls certainly would have been made, but the king abdicating because the PC told them to probably would have still not been in the cards. We already had a long discussion about this, and on the level of general principles, it seemed your issue was the GM deeming certain stakes impossible given the fictional positioning.

thefutilist

Adventurer
Don’t principles around following the fiction and limiting moves to a specific list mean that fictional positioning is preserved?

I agree on the basic passing of narrative/authorial control. That’s a really common observation people introduced to these systems have. That if success means the player gets their intent then that’s direct player authorial control over the fiction and if the DM gets to define failure then that’s DM authorial control over the fiction.
My broader point was really about how relationships end up being upstream of mechanics. So no, I don’t think the principles and move list do anything. Fictional positioning can only be as important as the groups choreography allows.

Although I think a lot of people/groups have issues with resolution for different reasons than the one I outlined in my rant, that’s probably a tangential topic.

What's the process, in D&D, for a PC hoping to meet a friend or ally - and having a chance of doing so - but also having a chance of an enemy turning up instead to rain on their parade?
There isn't one. This is the sort of acausal process I identified earlier, and it is rare in D&D. So narrativism requires or at least benefits from such acausality? It is fine if it does, but can we just admit it?

What's the process, in D&D, for having a king's guards turf a PC out of the castle into the moat that doesn't have a real chance, and likelihood, of escalating into a deadly conflict?
I mean this again seems that we need to take the scope of what's possible outside ot that which the PCs can actually decide. Like the chracters can certainly decide not to resist, in which case serious violence seems significantly unlikely, but making some sort of meat decision that we will have a physical confrontation, where there is no possibility of violence seems like a differnt thing. So does narrativism require or benefit from this sort of author stance instead of character level decision making?

What's the process, in D&D, for a PC attempting to shame a NPC into taking some action, and having the redound upon them, so that they are the one who has to carry the weight of embarrassment?
The social rules from DMG might be a good starting point for this. Granted, they're pretty simple so some extrapolation is required. In any case, it would seem to me to fall in the purview of the persuasion skill to manipulate an another person in this manner.

What's the process, in D&D, for a PC to persuade a skeleton lord to give up their guardianship of their forlorn forest, and instead convert from heathenism and have the bones of them and their followers placed in the PCs reliquary?
Again, social rules could cover this.

What's the process, in D&D, for two characters to argue about whether or not one will mend the armour of the other, with the outcome of the argument not just being chosen by one or other controlling participant, and with the outcome being binding at the table?
Social rules could cover this too, but at least I wouldn't want to. I don't want them to be binding to PCs and this is the sort of situation that is best handled via pure roleplay. At the point we are determining the actions of the characters via rules having players in the first place starts to seem superfluous. We are more in the territory of randomised story generation.

The above examples are intended to provide some illustrations. If all that can be staked and resolved, without the outcome just being GM fiat, is PC death, then it is hard to address other thematic concerns.
Yeah, there definitely were some concrete examples! But I am not sure what you exactly mean with this staking thing. I feel that in trad game players can stake all sort of things, what is at stake is just usually implied via fictional positioning instead of having a meta discussion about it. Though of course it is sometimes fro the GM to ask "What you're trying to accomplish by this" if things are unclear.

As there has been a lot of talk that references staking, I think it might be good idea to elaborate on bit what exactly we mean by that.

If resolution processes are highly technical and mostly involve mathematical decision-making and optimisation without those decisions and processes generating thematically meaningful fiction - ie if they closely resemble AD&D hp-attrition combat - then it is hard to address other thematic concerns.
Yeah, sure. That's why I generally do not like terribly crunchy mechanics. D&D is already a bit too much for my liking, though the out of combat skill+dice vs DC is pretty much my ideal RPG base system structure.

If the outcomes of declared actions will be decided by the GM primarily by reference to and extrapolation from their idea of the fiction, and if they main way for the players to learn what that is is via low-stakes action declarations that "poke" at the fiction to prompt the GM to reveal it in ways that don't hose the PCs, then it is hard to make high-stakes thematic concerns a regular focus of play.
Whilst low stakes poking certainly is something that happens, it is not all that happens. You of course still can have high stakes situations, but like I said, they're established more via fictional positioning rather than meta discussion.

The two are intimately bound up. For instance, a principle that says "be a fan of the PCs" is not very useful if the main procedure actually available for scene-framing is for the players to declare that their PCs enter a building (or similar complex) mapped and keyed by the GM, to then declare that their PCs enter certain rooms or open certain doors, with the GM then telling the players what they see and who they encounter by reference to the key.
Well, "be fan" is just hella vague and IIRC the actual description is pretty vague too. Also that of course is not the only framing structure available in trad games.

A GM move like "announce badness" is not very workable if there is no process that tells the GM when to do it or not do it, and if there is no process whereby the players can have their PCs reliably respond to the announced badness.
Well, I think in more trad setup "announcing badness" relies on temporal, spatial and causal cues. And sure, those necessarily do not result most thematically appropriate timing, but then again, I'm not sure that randomisation via dice rolls does either. And of course the PCs can respond to badness, it is just that there is no one size fits all solution. Different badnesses require different response.

Here's a concrete example that Edwards gives:

The time to traverse town with super-running is deemed insufficient to arrive at the scene, with reference to distance and actions at the scene, such that the villain's bomb does blow up the city. (The rules for DC Heroes specifically dictate that this be the appropriate way to GM such a scene).​

He labels this "simulationism overriding narrativism". What he means by that is that a faithful application of the mechanics - where the goal of the mechanics is to model time and space and to permit extrapolation of events from that modelling, without any regard to emotional or thematic considerations - can and likely will result in outcomes that undermine a focus on premise and theme. If you're using this sort of resolution engine, then "announcing badness" does not contribute to rising action: it just taunts the players!

To elaborate further on the previous paragraph: I have more than once seen the complaint that, in a game like AW or BitD or BW, a player can make things worse off by declaring an action, because if the action fails then the GM doesn't just say "nothing happens" but rather narrates some adverse consequence. This orientation is precisely a response to the sort of example just given - ie the GM's announcing of badness is just taunting, because the resolution engine does not in any way guarantee the players an actual meaningful capacity to influence that badness or the threatened outcome - it all just depends on how the GM has made decisions about time and space, and how those all combine to deliver a yes or no answer.
So I totally see how getting bogged down to simulationistic considerations can damage thematic ones. Perfectly fair. But the player always needing to be able to response badness seems more like gamist consideration rather than narrative one. Bad thing happened and you could do nothing about it is a perfectly fine narrative, it just means that the narrative we are dealing with here is the fallout of the event rather than preventing the event.

Here's Vincent Baker's basic theory of how to get narrativist RPGing:

After setup, what a game's rules do is control how you resolve one situation into the next. If you're designing a Narrativist game, what you need are rules that create a) rising conflict b) across a moral line c) between fit characters d) according to the authorship of the players. Every new situation should be a step upward in that conflict, toward a climax and resolution. Your rules need to provoke the players, collaboratively, into escalating the conflict, until it can't escalate no more.​
When looking at typical nar mechanics I totally see how they result Baker's (a) rising conflict. The rest are more about the fiction surrounding the mechanics though, and I obviously do not think that such fiction can only be connected to these kind of mechanics.

Remove ads