• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer What is Spelljammer, video interview with Chris Perkins

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Many Crystal Spheres had openings that you could fly through.

A Carpet of Flying won't work cause the vacuum will kill you.
Aaaaacshully, it did work. You just didn't take enough air with you and didn't last more than a few hours, if that long. :p

Last edited:

Well, they seriously screwed up.

The basic mission statement for Spelljammer is "D&D in space." If it doesn't even look like space, you've failed miserably.

You want to deliver the 4e Astral Sea for 5e, deliver that product. But don't hide it under the Spelljammer name like a deliquescing skin suit.
This looks like Space to me, Space with Weird stuff in it, but it still looks like Space.

97b4f93d-6a67-4e1d-8dc6-292749c5f754-jpeg.253309
12494181-ba8f-44f9-9cef-5753e3490cc5-jpeg.253297
6f26f39f-2e04-4a21-9750-1e332a3ba99a-jpeg.253300

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I like a space galleon as much as the next guy, but I miss all the other ships; they were a big part of what made the setting cool. I hope they're just showing off their mascot with this stuff.

I like a space galleon as much as the next guy, but I miss all the other ships; they were a big part of what made the setting cool. I hope they're just showing off their mascot with this stuff.
The other ships still exist we have minis for a lot of them. The art shows off several of the classic types as well.

Neogi Spider in the Astral Sea
TJ3Jxlv.png

Elven Ship (At what appears to be the Wildspace to Astral Border)
bJhYJ5Q.png

Several Squid Ships by a Dead God
FGPCMvT.png

From what he says and what we see of the map in the second video, it's actually not that far off from before, just the Astral has replaced the Phlogiston, and this "silver haze" has replaced the crystal spheres. The question is, do you need a Spelljamming helm the travel through this haze? Also, what are the stars that are seen in the night sky? Are they lights within the haze, or other systems seen through the haze and Astral?

Remove ads