• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) What innovative elements from Baldur's Gate 3 would you like to see implimented in 2024 D&D?

The short rest concept: two per long rest, but basically “immediate” (Ala 4e 5 min short rest). And no hit dice, j think get half your hitpoints.
May I ask, why half?

The game is literally built around using a random range. When you cast a healing spell, you roll. When you drink a healing potion, you roll. Heck, even for levelling, you can roll your hit points. (It's the default, taking the average is the optional.) So, why remove that random variability?

Because the random variability isn't really all that much of a positive when dealing with your 'no die mojo'?
I guess I do not understand then. If you want everything quantified and predetermined, then why play a game where everything, from damage to skill success to healing to attack rolls, is based on the random variability?

I guess my question is, why does this one thing, the ability to heal during a short rest, not use random variability? Because bad-luck dice? That can affect everything else. So why not this?

Vaalingrade

Legend
I guess I do not understand then. If you want everything quantified and predetermined, then why play a game where everything, from damage to skill success to healing to attack rolls, is based on the random variability?

I guess my question is, why does this one thing, the ability to heal during a short rest, not use random variability? Because bad-luck dice? That can affect everything else. So why not this?
This is like why asking why adding cayenne pepper to chilli is okay, but not Mountain Dew. Not every combination of things mesh well. And healing is one place where inherent unfairness far surpasses the tolerances of a lot of people because of the consequences of that unfairness.

Also, the randomness level of skill success is also super crappy in 5e.

aco175

Legend
I would like to see a campaign book for TTPlay in a 5e game. I do not play video games that much and have noticed some elements online when I might look up some Forgotten Realms (FR) location and see it was in a game. To have and actual dungeon that was in the game be a module would be cool. Not sure how hard to make it balanced for TTPlay though.

Weiley31

Legend
I would've said the Warlock Pact Boon changes, as they seem pretty neat. Although, it seems like both Larian Studios and WoTC had the same thing in mind with buffing/changing Pact of the Blade.

This is like why asking why adding cayenne pepper to chilli is okay, but not Mountain Dew. Not every combination of things mesh well. And healing is one place where inherent unfairness far surpasses the tolerances of a lot of people because of the consequences of that unfairness.

Also, the randomness level of skill success is also super crappy in 5e.
Thank you for replying Vaalingrade. So your qualm is that having randomness in healing is more unfair than say, having it in attack rolls or skill checks? Is that an accurate statement?

Remove ads