• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General What (in)famous D&D adventure sites exist in your homebrew?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
For World of Kulan, I've included both The Isle of Dread and The Lost City in the setting. Dragon Mountain exists, sort of, in the campaign world but it is called something else to "hide the mountain" in plain sight so to speak.

Most of the other locales I've used are from DUNGEON Magazine such as the Duchy of Mulcrow (called Minar in my campaign world) from the module, Rudwilla's Stew, and Prism Keep from the module of the same name.

Both the City of Waterdeep and Undermountain have a place in the setting with altered names as does the City of Tyr and the City State of the Invincible Overlord. (CSIO is iconic enought to include in this discussion, IMO.)

I also have location that I want to use for the inclusion of the Red Hand of Doom module when I hopefully get the chance to run that module. It's not on my main continent (i.e. Harqual), however, instead it's on my super-continent (Kanpur).

[EDIT]
I forgot that I also have included an altered Land of Fate in my campaign setting.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The Ghost Tower of Inverness is located in the Blacks Islands Barony in Aquerra (or at least the crumbling foundation of the ancient tower, the ghost of the tower won't start appearing until I am ready to run that adventure one day).

The town from Against the Cult of the Reptile God, which has the unassuming name of "Hamlet" (pronounced "Ham-lay") in Aquerra, and of course the swamp dungeon as well. (I ran the module in my "The Oath" Campaign)

The Tower of the Heavens which appear ins UK4 - When a Star Falls

Bone Hill (from L1 - The Secret of Bone Hill) - cleared out, but a great site for any up and coming villain to use for nefarious purposes.

The Lost Island of Castanamir from the module of the same name, though the island has since sunk back beneath the waves of the Wilzard's Sea

The Hidden Shrine of the Tamoachan is located amid the Hellish Isles of Aquerra at the fringes of the Empire of Oolam (an expansive Afro-Asian flavored culture built on the ruins of a collapsed Mezo-American Empire of ancient times). This adventure resulted in the TPK of the Oath campaign

Saltmarsh is a town in the Republic of Erthage

Griffon Castle and Capel Tower from N3 - Destiny of Kings and the province of Andevar (now split into East Andevar and West Andevar).

A modified version of Haven from Palace of the Silver Princess

The Caves of Chaos and the Keep on the Borderlands. . . TWICE! The name "caves of chaos" is so generic I thought it would be cool if two different sets of people independently named dangerous caves full of monsters the same thing. In one place (The Far Shore League of western Derome-Delem) the keep is there, but the actual caves are not those from the module. In the Disputed Territories of the Spice & Thread Islands, I used the cave system, but "the Ruined Keep on the Old Borderlands" was exactly that, a ruin that was involved a nearby, but unrelated adventure.

EDIT: This is just the stuff from modules that I can remember. I got a ton of stuff from Dungeon adventures - you should check out the Campaigns page of my Aquerra.wiki (see sig) for more.

Festivus

First Post
Isle of Dread, Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, Whilte Plume Mountain
and not sure it's a classic, but Dungeon 112 Maure Castle have all been used in the past two years by me. Heck, I have a player walking around with a modified Wave.

justanobody

Banned
Banned
There is a "saltmarsh" in most of my games, but the area is not often visited. Also there is always a mountain named White Plume that is never really visited. :(

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Telenet: Lost Island of Castanamir (off the northeast coast), Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (just outside a small elven land in the north), Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun (northeast coast mountains), the region detailed in Night's Dark Terror (about mid-continent).

Riveria: Most known FR sites (except that the northwest coast was modified into unrecognizability) e.g. Waterdeep, Dragonspear Castle, Amn, the Moonshaes, etc.; Lost Temple of Tharizdun (again, this time in the mountains north of Amn), the pyramid of the Pharoah's Tomb (in a wandering desert that showed up some distance northeast of Waterdeep for a while then moved to a more permanent location in the south Anauroch), the Steading of the Hill Giant Chief (again, but the characters ignored it several times), the Halls of the Fire Giant King (well, most of 'em anyway, north of Waterdeep), some others I can't think of right now.

Decast: So far, just the Caves of Chaos (in the mid-empire mountains); others will certainly rear their ugly heads in the future but I can't yet say when or where. :)

Lanefan

Last edited:

Lord Zack

Explorer
I used Saltmarsh in my most recent campaign. Unfortunetly my players weren't there long, but they did prevent it from burning down.

I'm considering adding some famous Dungeons and Dragons locations in my next campaign in modified form. At least the names will be modified. Though it doesn't count as a famous Dungeons and Dragons location, the Kingdom of Hyrule from the Legend of Zelda series, and many locations from that series will be making they're way into my setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads