• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) What each tier means

I prefer to divide the tiers into groups of four levels ( = proficiency bonus improvement), so as to finetune the feel of each tier.

• level zero: undeveloped potential, risk-taking (highschool).

• levels 1 to 4: Student (competent in basic skills but still training, college, rookie: guild apprentice, knightly page, jack).

• levels 5 to 8: Professional (expert skill set, the essence of D&D experience, seasoned, tough combatants: guild journeyer, knightly squire, mercenary).

• levels 9 to 12: Master (able to train others, chief, head important institution, head local government: guild master, knightly knight, military officer).

• levels 13 to 16: Sovereign (able to head entire nation, or prominent international institutions: guild grandmaster, knightly lord, chieftain, military general).

• levels 17 to 20: Legend (Wish, etcetera, powerful superheroes, internationally famous).

• levels 21: Immortal (attain immortality by various means, game changer, create new realities)

At the moment, I am particularly interested in the "Master tier", levels 9 to 12.

Flavorwise, this tier can feel like "Game of Thrones". Player characters become the heads prominent institutions. They build a palatial stronghold, found an influential college, evolve a local religious institution, lead a local guild, become a military officer, and so on. They attract non-player characters that are loyal to their institution, whether personal bodyguards, magical apprentices, religious adherents, guild workers (or ironically a guild of thieves as a mobster), a local military militia, and so on.

Flavorwise − the political intrigue and international affairs characterize what the "Master tier" (levels 9 to 12) in D&D should be about. When player character found their own institutions, the scope of the game shifts, and the context expands to deal with challenges from rival institutions.

Of course, player characters have probably dealt with some political intrigues and international affairs in the earlier tiers (levels 1 to 4 and 5 to 8). But now the player characters are the chess players and not the chess pieces.

Last edited:

tommybahama

Adventurer
Someone wrote an essay that argued all the characters in LotR and GoT are level 4 or less despite being the pinnacle of human accomplishment (Aragorn, for example). Anything beyond that is Greek epic hero territory like Hercules.

It was a very good essay and I'm sorry I didn't save a copy. Hopefully someone here will remember it and link to it.

Someone wrote an essay that argued all the characters in LotR and GoT are level 4 or less despite being the pinnacle of human accomplishment (Aragorn, for example). Anything beyond that is Greek epic hero territory like Hercules.

It was a very good essay and I'm sorry I didn't save a copy. Hopefully someone here will remember it and link to it.

I view the low magic settings, like Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones, as more like high level fighters who occasionally dabble in magic.

In my eyes, Gandalf of Lord of the Rings is more like a Legend-tier Paladin, complete with divine powers, bookless spellcasting, high charisma, two-weapon fighting style, aura of protection, turn undead, dispel magic, conjurable steed, even a Flamestrike. And the list goes on. As a partial caster, Gandalf is very high level, but the magic remains modest.

Elondir II

Villager
I tend to see the tiers as follows:
Levels 1 - 4: Grim and gritty (Frodo)
5-8: Action hero (Batman)
9-14: Harry Potter
15-20: Superheroes (Wolverine, Gambit)
21-30: Mythic (Beowulf, Magneto)
31-40: Epic (Elminster, Larloch)
41-60: Immortal (typical deities)
61-80: Cosmic entity (Ego, Atropus)
81-100: Q Continuum