• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dragonlance [+] What do you like most about DRAGONLANCE?

Ondath

Hero
the title items... the dragon lances.

You need a magic arm and hammer and when you make them they are SUPER deadly

edit: I tried to google them, but I found 4e and homebrew rules and I am not sure I remember them right... but I remember them doing bonus damage based on the HD of your mount, and ignoreing resistances
I believe the 1E Dragonlance rules were that they did damage equal to the Hit Dice of the Fighter using them, and that this was an overt parallel to how dragons' breath weapons worked in 1E (they also did damage equal to the dragon's HD, which was why dragons were so scary in the first place!). Granted, this is a bit difficult to replicate in modern rules, but I agree that it's a really cool flavour. You've got a magic weapon that's so powerful it deals damage to dragons the same way they deal damage to people!

From a player perspective, I always liked the influence of the 3 moons on wizards. I’m not sure I’d say I liked that most, but I did like it and it’s a bit different from most of the other perspectives here.
it is a great concept... heck breaking wizard up into 3 classes (no one of them getting all spells) I think was ahead of it's time

I believe the 1E Dragonlance rules were that they did damage equal to the Hit Dice of the Fighter using them, and that this was an overt parallel to how dragons' breath weapons worked in 1E
okay maybe that was it HD of weilder... I don't know why I remember mount.

Maybe it was a 3e thing.

I just remember them being AMAZING

Marc Radle

Legend
Oh man, there is a LOT to love about DragonLance!

First and foremost the characters, especially the ones in the original trilogy. Tanis, Sturm, Flint, Tassleholf, Laurana and Riverwind, Caramon and Raisin - man I just loved them

Second, the story - in the original trilogy in particular. I was absolutely captivated by it when I was a kid, and it help up many years later when I read it to my (then) young son.

Last but far from least, the art! Although there was certainly some less than great art, most of it was just amazing! The Larry Elmore covers on the three original trilogy covers were nust perfect. I spent HOURS just gazing at them as my imagination went wild. Heck, I STILL love to look at the framed prints, hand signed and numbered by the great Larry Elmore himself, that hang in my office.

Last edited:

not-so-newguy

I'm the Straw Man in your argument
Wizards and Alignment. I'm really interested in how they handle this.

Alignment seems like a vestigial organ in 5e to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads