• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spelljammer What classic Spelljammer sources are worth getting?

I'd stay away from the Legend of the Spelljammer.
booo... bad opinion (just kidding, I just disagree)
It demystifies the big ship in a disappointing manner. It's better to define the Spelljammer yourself, and I would personally model it along the lines of the ship Destiny from Stargate Universe (though I'm not a fan of the show, the ship is really, really interesting).
that is an intresting take on the spelljammer, but was it really anything more then a footnote before that box set hit?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You know what, I just found out Realmspace is epic simply because it has a sweet as heck Spelljammer vessel called The Batship.

And instead of a Minor/Major Helm to pilot it, your pretty much in a box and you control the actual thing with your own movements ala how they pilot the Gundams in G-Gundam.

View attachment 156204
View attachment 156203
It also has Elminster's Hideout

I'll go ahead and add that I've long thought that SJA4 Under the Dark Fist (affiliate link) had untapped potential.

The setup is truly epic. The Vodoni Empire, which rules twelve crystal spheres (i.e. solar systems) is sending an invasion fleet of werewolf berserkers to conquer the Radiant Triangle (i.e. Greyspace, Realmspace, and Krynnspace). Your PCs are chosen by a council representing the various free spacefaring people to form a strike team to go and slay the Vodoni Emperor, Vulkaran the Dark, before the invasion can be launched!

It was an excellent premise which should have gotten more than sixty-four pages of development, though it includes a decent amount of details for the various spheres the Empire controls.
do you get 'credit' if I buy the physical book or just the pdf?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
do you get 'credit' if I buy the physical book or just the pdf?
Presuming you click on the affiliate link, I get a kickback either way. Heck, it doesn't even have to be for that particular book, so long as you've clicked the link.

see

Pedantic Grognard
You know what, I just found out Realmspace is epic simply because it has a sweet as heck Spelljammer vessel called The Batship.
Which it goes way out of its way to make sure your characters never, ever can have, and then, if you do work it out (at the cost of two wish spells), doesn't let you do anything fun ("the helmbox never allows its inhabitant to commit any act that would needlessly put him in jeopardy.")

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Which it goes way out of its way to make sure your characters never, ever can have, and then, if you do work it out (at the cost of two wish spells), doesn't let you do anything fun ("the helmbox never allows its inhabitant to commit any act that would needlessly put him in jeopardy.")
TSR had this very odd habit of dangling interesting ideas in supplements and then also telling you as a DM to never let players make use of them in any way.

I tended to ignore it back then - why have a cool thing in the world if the players aren't supposed to be able to use it?

Remove ads