• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What Are Your Favorite TTRPG Genres

Favorite TTRPG Genres

• Classic/Dungeon Fantasy

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • Epic/High Fantasy

Votes: 28 46.7%
  • Grim/Dark Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Heroic/S&S Fantasy

Votes: 29 48.3%
  • Hard Sci-Fi

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Cyberpunk

Votes: 19 31.7%
  • Space Opera

Votes: 31 51.7%
  • Bio/Gene Punk

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Steampunk

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • Dieselpunk

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Mecha with or whout kaiju

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Space Fantasy

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Science Fantasy

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (realistic)

• Post Apocalyptic (futuristic)

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (fantastical)

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Post Apocalyptic (dying earth/far future)

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Supers, Golden Age

• Supers, Silver Age

• Supers, Iron Age

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Supers, Modern/nuSilver Age

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Supers, Deconstruction

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Supers, Futuristic

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Supers, Fantasy

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Pulp, Action

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Pulp, Noir

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Pulp, Horror

• Lovecraftian Horror

Votes: 21 35.0%
  • Gothic Horror

Votes: 16 26.7%
  • Slasher Horror

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Supernatural Horror

• Psychological Horror

• Urban Fantasy

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Cozy/Casual

• Romance

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Erotica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slice of Life

• Other/Something I forgot

• Added: Comedy

• Added: Crime

• Added: Supers, Street Level

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Added: Historical Fantasy

• Espionage

• Old West

• Added: Retro Sci-Fi

Thomas Shey

Legend
Monte Cook Games has been about to release an urban fantasy campaign book for Cypher for about six months now, which seems like a good fit for the system and probably most urban fantasy players. (I have a hard time picturing someone wanting to play a character running a magical used book shop/coffee shop and also detail their characters in GURPS-level detail.)

On the other hand, I've seen characters in other urban fantasy where Cypher wouldn't exactly be a good fit because its too broad-stroke, too. Say, a certain cryptozoologist/cryptosociologist who's also a ballroom dancer and a parkour expert.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Buffy is also Urban Fantasy. While the licensed RPG is in "No New Products" mode, it's been less than 3 years since the last errata fix to the PDFs, and they're still available on DTRPG.
I did not know that. Usually, licensed RPGs get pulled once their license expires, don't they?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm actually pretty surprised with all the rehashes and remakes of the 2020s, Buffy 2.0 hasn't been announced.
The rights-holders threatened to do a total reboot of the show and were met by a primal scream from pretty much all corners and the matter seems to have been dropped.

The Boom Studios comics were also a total reboot and were quite good, but seem to have wrapped up in 2023, meaning there about five years of the (lightly) more modern take on Buffy.

They do, but everything about Eden Studios is pretty haphazard in recent years. They may have gotten the order to take it down and just never done it.
George Vasilakos owns the FLGS around here, but I haven't seen him in person in ages - not getting down there often any more. I'll try to remember to ask about the subject if I do see him. The company's been largely coasting since 2014-ish when they released Adventure Maximus, although they still get a fair number of people asking when something new will be coming out.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
The rights-holders threatened to do a total reboot of the show and were met by a primal scream from pretty much all corners and the matter seems to have been dropped.

The Boom Studios comics were also a total reboot and were quite good, but seem to have wrapped up in 2023, meaning there about five years of the (lightly) more modern take on Buffy.
Oh. I love Boom. I should look those up. (I was always more of an Angel fan but appreciated what Buffy was aiming for. )

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I also think some people kinda mix urban fantasy with horror genres as well, it's a hard genre to define. You could run a Cthulhu game as an urban fantasy game and you could run a Dresden Files as a more horror game. You could have a Hunter The Vigil game be way more investigative horror than urban fantasy and even Unknown Armies or KULT could be both in a way.

yeah Urban fantasy is a funny one since anything set in the modernish era (post 20th century) fits the definition eg is Ninja Turtles Urban Fantasy or Superhero? Is Buffy Superhero, Urban Fantasy or Horror?
what genre is City of Mist?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Oh. I love Boom. I should look those up. (I was always more of an Angel fan but appreciated what Buffy was aiming for. )
I enjoyed the Boom Angel comics more than I did the TV series.

The whole run, IMO, was a good take on the franchise in the 21st century, much better than the often strange Dark Horse run. (Spike in a spaceship, bonding with aliens, felt like no one involved understood why people like the franchise.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
yeah Urban fantasy is a funny one since anything set in the modernish era (post 20th century) fits the definition eg is Ninja Turtles Urban Fantasy or Superhero?
Superheroes. It started off as a pastiche of Frank Miller's Ronin and Daredevil comics. (Check the names of the ninja organizations.)

And, as far as I know, almost everything's got a science fiction explanation in TMNT, rather than a "there are secretly fae all around us" one.

Remove ads