What are you reading in 2024?

Grade school would've absolutely been the wrong time for me to discover Barsoom. Back then I was still very much a purist, a "keep my fantasy and science-fiction separate" opinion. Thankfully, I got better.
Some of my earliest adult reading material was ERB, so I got the purist thing beat right from word one. Growing up with Barsoom will do that for you - and I discovered Moorcock by 5th grade as well, which certainly helped cement the idea that fantasy and scifi could blur together just fine.

Still not sure I understand the Jerry Cornelius books, though. Thank goodness I read Elric and Hawkmoon first or I might never have touched his work.

Arnie_Wan_Kenobi

Aspiring Trickster Mentor
I liked the novels when they appeared to be mostly standalone mysteries. The world and characters he created are great and worth spending time with. I've been disheartened about how serialized they've gotten -- more like comic books without the pictures nowadays. Still, enjoyable fun, even if I'd rather they were structured more like the Easy Rawlins novels, which is the other mystery series I'm working my way through.

Yes! The only novella I've read is "The Furthest Station" (only one my library has on shelf) and I haven't read the comics (although I've religiously crossed-referenced information on the TVTropes page). As a result, one reference to a haunted BMW seemed like a cute call-back, but plot points alluded to from the novellas, the audio stories, and the comics....it all feels like some of the complaints against the Star Wars universe, too much reliance on an "Expanded Universe" material to get the whole story. But, like @prabe said:
I'm looking at running a riff on Chaosium's Rivers of London TRPG--I'm tentatively calling the campaign Rivers of St. Louis.

I'm thinking I'll pick up the TTRPG out of curiosity once I finish Amongst Our Weapons.

(Also, this is what I want to do with Vaesen, but set in Chicago right after the fire.)

NOW, if they'd release a boxed starter set that I'll never actually play, I'd be all over it. (Beginner Boxes for systems I'll never play are my addiction.)

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm thinking I'll pick up to TTRPG out of curiosity once I finish Amongst Our Weapons.

NOW, if they'd release a boxed starter set that I'll never actually play, I'd be all over it. (Beginner Boxes for systems I'll never play are my addiction.)
It's an adaptation of BRP, but seems pretty decent as far as addressing the game-relevant premises--can't speak for how well it handles the novels, because I haven't read them.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
It's an adaptation of BRP, but seems pretty decent as far as addressing the game-relevant premises--can't speak for how well it handles the novels, because I haven't read them.
The novels could probably be modeled by a number of RPG systems. Both the monsters and the magic are pretty standard. What's fun about the book series is just how somewhat standard pieces are deployed in the setting.

prabe

Supporter
The novels could probably be modeled by a number of RPG systems. Both the monsters and the magic are pretty standard. What's fun about the book is just how somewhat standard pieces are deployed in the setting.
I can see that. Honestly, the novel I'd love to see a TRPG adaptation of is The Ten Thousand Doors of January, but the odds are slim, since it's not (and apparently won't be) a series. I guess I'll have to work out what system I most want to run, what seems to be as a best fit of the games I feel up for running.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I can see that. Honestly, the novel I'd love to see a TRPG adaptation of is The Ten Thousand Doors of January, but the odds are slim, since it's not (and apparently won't be) a series. I guess I'll have to work out what system I most want to run, what seems to be as a best fit of the games I feel up for running.
Huh, that's an interesting choice, and I mean that positively. I'm trying to think what would the players/party do? Or are you thinking a solo or duet game?

prabe

Supporter
Huh, that's an interesting choice, and I mean that positively. I'm trying to think what would the players/party do? Or are you thinking a solo or duet game?
I dunno. I know better than to try to ape the actual novel, but it seems like a pretty natural choice setting-wise, for a TRPG. Running it with just my wife would have the advantage of both of us knowing (and loving) the novel, but I'm far from committed to doing it that way.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
I dunno. I know better than to try to ape the actual novel, but it seems like a pretty natural choice setting-wise, for a TRPG. Running it with just my wife would have the advantage of both of us knowing (and loving) the novel, but I'm far from committed to doing it that way.
I also love the novel. I wonder if you could use a game like Girl Underground, but tweak the setting and playbooks for January

Remove ads