• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What are the best options for selling individual Magic the Gathering cards?

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I've sold and bought gaming items over the years through eBay. Haven't done so in many years though. What is the best alternative for selling off portions of a Magic the Gathering collections? Is eBay the best choice today or are there premier sites that specialize in this that anyone can recommend? I would prefer to keep away from eBay for reasons that are my own but if that is the option with no peer then I'll make do.

Thanks!

Crothian

First Post
Are you looking for fast money or willing to take your time? There are places that buy bulk rares, uncommon, and commons. You don't get a lot of money for them but you do get rid of them. When I sold off my collection I did so over the course of four years hunting for the best offers from all kinds of places. I was willing to say no and be patient with dealers to get the most I could for the collection.

AdmundfortGeographer

I'm not in a terrible rush, but four years is longer than I'm ready to tolerate. Maybe by the end of summer, so, something like three or four months? Only because I just don't think I could tolerate dragging it out too long. ;) I'd almost even be happy getting someone else to do it all and let them take a cut. It's just a damn lot of cards.
Alternately, what are you trying to sell? There's a marketplace on EN World, right? http://www.enworld.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?471-Gaming-Marketplace
I'm checking some sites for valuations of things which piqued my interest. I have about 60-70 dual lands from Revised. I added it up and on the optimistic side might be worth $2,800 total ... so that made my wife's eyes widen. Plus a few more from Legends, unlimited, Fallen, The Dark, Antiquities.

Crothian

First Post
I'd separate the ones that have value. I don't know what the market is like for those old cards but I know even my common Antiquities sold for a buck a piece so I made sure to sell them all together. I'd make a list of what you have that value and just send it to different sites and see what they will offer you for it.

AdmundfortGeographer

I've spent a bit of time researching prices and I'm just gobsmacked at some of the prices Card Kingdom seems like maybe the easiest for a quick dump. But I think I'm going to deal with it and just use eBay and PayPal for everything worth more than $15/card, the rest that are less than that I might just bundle up or give to my son who is getting started with Magic the Gathering now.

I have so much dual lands my first listing is for ten cards, 1 of each type of dual land. Probably a mistake if I wanted to maximize the return, but I have 58 more Revised dual land to go. Seems eBay limits how much you can sell per month to $1,000 over 10 auctions. I'm going to hit that cap really soon and will make this drag out since I have a Mishra's Workshop and Tabernacle of Pendrell Vale to go yet.

Your advice was very helpful making my decision, Crothian and Ranger Wickett, thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads