• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Wednesday Netflix (Spoilers allowed)

Goody seemed odd to me too. Godly would be closer to the community in which she lived. Then again, Cotton Mather was named Cotton because it was his mother's maiden name. His Father Increase Mather was named in the same manner.
17th Century English religious fanatics (and communities founded by them in America) had weird given names. And I don't mean that in the "weird to a modern ear" sense, I mean that back in England at the time 90%+ of people had the same small handful of a dozen or so male and a dozen or so female names (with even half of those being less common) occasionally adding something to the mix to honor a foreign born member of the royal family, and these weirdos went around giving their children hortatory or aspirational word first names like "Prudence", "Obedience", "Remember", "Continent", "Fear-God" or, most infamously, "Unless-Jesus-Christ-Had-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned".

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Goody seemed odd to me too. Godly would be closer to the community in which she lived. Then again, Cotton Mather was named Cotton because it was his mother's maiden name. His Father Increase Mather was named in the same manner.

Goody in the Pilgrim era was short for Goodwife so I interperet Goody Addams as equivalent to Ms Addams.
Goodys were lower status than Mistresses

Goody in the Pilgrim era was short for Goodwife so I interperet Goody Addams as equivalent to Mrs Addams.
Probably a widow to Master Addams
Except that she is a teenager, there is no reference otherwise to her being married already, while marrying at her age was not so-abnormal in her era it is unusual enough to a modern audience that it is hardly something that would be slipped into the show without comment, and they very much treat it as being her first name in the show. Once again I think it is either an inside joke about surname Gomez semi-accidentally being used as a first name in the franchise, or more likely just confusion (or apathy) on the part of the writers.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
We saw the first two yesterday and the rest today and definitely enjoyed them.

The music was great. And I thought Enid (Emma Myers) was superb casting (as were several others).

And I now know what to bring to <spoilers aren't working>.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Except that she is a teenager, there is no reference otherwise to her being married already, while marrying at her age was not so-abnormal in her era it is unusual enough to a modern audience that it is hardly something that would be slipped into the show without comment, and they very much treat it as being her first name in the show. Once again I think it is either an inside joke about surname Gomez semi-accidentally being used as a first name in the franchise, or more likely just confusion (or apathy) on the part of the writers.
Yeah fair enough, I’m probably forgetting the target audience is much younger than I.

my personal head cannon though is that Captain Addams was a freebooter operating in Florida and the Gulf of Mexico where he eventually met and fell in love with the daughter of Panther Juan Gomez. After Juan Gomez was arrested for piracy, Captain Addams took his beloved Merlina north to Massachusetts only for Captain Addams to die suddenly. Merlina Gomez thus assumes the name Goody Addams and relocates to Jericho, Vermont and the Addams family line begins ….

Ryujin

Legend
They're also hand-waving how the family name flows from a female antecedent, which would have been rather notably scandalous in those times but tends to mean far less (if anything at all) these days, so I'm just going with it.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
It's also very possible for her to be a widow. She could have easy been married to man that died of any number of causes. Who knows, they may use this as an opportunity for a spinoff telling Goody's tale. She doesn't have to be as oddball as her descendants, but the outcasts exist. I'd watch it. It'd be like Salem but funny.

Ryujin

Legend
It's also very possible for her to be a widow. She could have easy been married to man that died of any number of causes. Who knows, they may use this as an opportunity for a spinoff telling Goody's tale. She doesn't have to be as oddball as her descendants, but the outcasts exist. I'd watch it. It'd be like Salem but funny.
If she was a widow with children, but the only one to escape, then that doesn't really work either. As I said the whole thing was just hand-waved, so best to just go with it.

Aeson

I am the mysterious professor.
If she was a widow with children, but the only one to escape, then that doesn't really work either. As I said the whole thing was just hand-waved, so best to just go with it.
I let a lot go. This one, for some reason, was a little harder to let go of. I get your point though.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I blasted through all these episodes. I thought they were a blast. I wish they were a bit more Tim Burton, but if the trade-off at this date is to dial back the Tim Burton to get more of a quality production out of things, it's a fair trade.

Insanely good cast.

I would love to get a soundtrack album out of this.

I loved the school full of monsters and other generic outcasts. In many ways, this was a great Monsterhearts TV show, only without the horniness. (Honestly, it may be the least horny high school show in recent memory.)

The whole thing made me want to run a modern day campaign of some sort, using Edward Gorey as an aesthetic.

Remove ads