• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E VTT / Maptools: D&D 4E Dark Sun using Maptools, my experiences and tips for new users.

csx

First Post
Hi there -- How did you generate the map in image 8, and the rocky wasteland where the kank wagon is to be ambushed.

Thanks!

Cherno

Explorer
Hello!

(All maps are done in Photoshop CS3)

The map in image 8 was made as follows:

Just a sand texture as background (I think I found it in the RPTools's community gallery)
The rock texture (also from RPTools) was just cut into shapes with the eraser tool with low hardness so the edges are smooth, then the layer was given a drop shadow and bevel effect to simulate their height and 3D-ness ;)

The dunes were a little bit more complicated. This YT tutorial shows the general process:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqu4JVJWoYw

The resulting dunes were then made 25% transparent and cut to the required field sizes, again with the eraser tool.
Then, I put the little white triangles on each dune square to show difficult terrain.

The rocky wasteland was obviously done as above but I also put some small rocks here and there.

The Kank is just a top photo from a real bug, it was mirrored and some leg angles changed for the second creature. The two Kanks are a seperate Maptools object.

I can give you both maps as PSD or PNG files if you want :) Just PN me and I will upload them and send you the link.

Edit: I just noticed that the kank ambush is outdated, I took another look at the Bloodsand Arena adventure and saw that no wagon is mentioned, the text just says that the Kanks carry Kaldras' wares. So I just used the two Kanks without the wagon.

Last edited:

Cherno

Explorer
Some screenshots from the last session.

The party stumble upon a couple of Baazrags gnawing on a skeleton of an unfortunate desert traveller. Baazrags are pretty fun to fight because they can latch onto their foes and can then use a pretty pwoerful gnawing attack, and their victims can't get rid of them by shifting because they just move with them as long as their are latched.
This shows the GM view with the auras around the Baazrags to help remind me of their Pack Harrier trait, players do not see the red area.

[sblock=19]
untitled4r9o16.jpg
[/sblock]

The burial mount at night. Mako the Wizard (totally not ripped from Conan the Barbarian) performs the ancient ritual that will hopefully save the dwarf's soul, but when all is done, the dwarf isn't the only one who has been brought back to life! Before the skeleton warriors rose, the characters had to make a skill challenge to defend the dwarf's body and soul from some evil spirits.

[sblock=20]
untitled7ovqkd.jpg
[/sblock]

First combat encounter in the Bloodsand Arena quest. The caravan ist ambushed by some desperate bandits.

[sblock=21]
untitled80crpw.jpg
[/sblock]

The elven market in Altaruk, where upon arrival Kaldras aka Backstabbing Bastard tries to knock the party unconscious so he and his clan can sell them as slaves. This was a pretty close fight because Kaldras is very dangerous in close combat, and those elf sniper attack sure add up if they all fire at the same target round after round. Thia the elven ranger was knocked unconscious and Keira the human wizard had to flee into a nearby tent to escape the same fate.

[sblock=22]
untitled6t3pgp.jpg
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Ferghis

First Post
"You must spread xp around..."

Thanks for posting these kinds of updates, complete with screenshots. I take it you don't use maptools to track conditions and effects much? Or is it just a lack of statuses that I'm noting?

Cherno

Explorer
Actually I do, but by pure chance it's just not visible on the screenshots :)
Also, my players often forget or don't bother with their Hunter's Quarry and Fighter's Combat Challenge feats ;)
Sometimes when I try to manually apply conditions for ongoing poison damage etc. it doesn't work right or at all, must be because the Laptop I run the GM program on is pretty slow. So In those cases I just try to remember it without condition tracking.

Also, I uploaded all the maps I have made so far as PSD files. If anyone is interested, just PM me and I will send the link.

Last edited:

Cherno

Explorer
Just a quick note, I also uploaded all maps as PNGs with seperate map objects so people can build their own maps inside Maptools or other VTTs.

PM or eMail to chernoskill (at) gmx (dot) net for the link :)

Cherno

Explorer
I reuploaded the maps, adding some that weren't part of the archive before.

PM or eMail to chernoskill (at) gmx (dot) net for the link

Remove ads