• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Critical Role Vox Machina sound track in Vinyl.

darjr

I crit!
I bought my son a usb record player and I think I’ve used it more than he has. I dunno if I even want this but I do wanna listen to the sound track.
Image for article titled The Vox Machina Vinyl Gets the Whole Party Back on Track

The Legend of Vox Machina—brought to animated life by Titmouse and based on a tabletop campaign by the actual play group Critical Role—is getting its very own zoetrope vinyl soundtrack

Note they talked to Sam about it too.

MGibster

Legend
Back in the late 80s, I can remember being all too eager to do away with the record player in favor of casettes and then compact dics. If you would have told me in 1993 that records would be popular twenty years later I would have laughed and called you crazy. Little did I know at the time that floods and plague would drive us back to records.

Back in the late 80s, I can remember being all too eager to do away with the record player in favor of casettes and then compact dics. If you would have told me in 1993 that records would be popular twenty years later I would have laughed and called you crazy. Little did I know at the time that floods and plague would drive us back to records.
I wouldn't call vinyl popular. At least not compared to the '80s. I would say it survives, among a small dedicated fan base. Sure, they are 43.5 million albums sold in 2022, but compared to 341.3 million in '78. From 47% of music sales to less than 5%.

LP and extended play, or EP, sales peaked in 1978 at 341.3 million units sold, making up 47 percent of the total sales volume of all music formats.
So how big is vinyl's comeback really? Should we all dust off our old record players to prepare for the analog future of music? According to Luminate’s 2022 Year-End Music Report, LPs accounted for 43 percent of album sales in the United States last year, which is quite substantial. Factoring in streaming and downloads of single tracks, however, that number drops to less than 5 percent of album equivalent music consumption, which puts things in perspective.
And:
Interestingly, vinyl LPs appear to have become a bit of collectors' item for fans, who listen to music digitally but still want to own a physical object: according to Luminate, only 50 percent of vinyl buyers actually have a record player.

MGibster

Legend
I wouldn't call vinyl popular. At least not compared to the '80s. I would say it survives, among a small dedicated fan base. Sure, they are 43.5 million albums sold in 2022, but compared to 341.3 million in '78. From 47% of music sales to less than 5%.
Okay, trendy or fashionable maybe? I can walk into a Cracker Barrel gift shop right now and buy vinyl records. Do you know how crazy that sounds to 1993 me? It's like some hipster in 1942 explaining that the best way to listen to music is on these wax cylinders because they produce the warmest sounds.

Okay, trendy or fashionable maybe? I can walk into a Cracker Barrel gift shop right now and buy vinyl records. Do you know how crazy that sounds to 1993 me? It's like some hipster in 1942 explaining that the best way to listen to music is on these wax cylinders because they produce the warmest sounds.
I get it. 1993 was near the low, something less than 1 million sales I think. Given that the resurgence is incredible. It's just not what it once was :) I wonder what half those buyrs do with them given that they don't have players...

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
The LP cover was a big loss. What a fantastic space for both artistic expression and info about the music, artists, instruments etc.

I don’t miss vinyl, but I do miss that.

Remove ads