• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Vehicular / Siege Combat

steels12

Explorer
Hey all,

So my party's been taking a run through the Plane of Fire and currently they're embroiled with some pirates amidst the Sea of Fire. This naturally involves a lot of magical ships and is the first time I've introduced naval combat and any sort of siege weaponry into our campaign since we switched over to A5E. It's caused some complications and confusion, and I figured posting here might be the best place to air some grievances and perhaps get some clarification.

1. Rolling to hit. It seems unclear in the Adventurer's Guide on how to roll to hit with a siege weapon. The stat blocks provided include a cost, size, AC, HP, range, and damage, but nothing about any particular actions the siege weapons can take such as firing different types of ammunition or reloading. Under the "armed" feature for vehicles we can see it takes 1 action to fire a siege weapon and 1 action to reload it. While it is clearly not a simple nor a martial weapon, the four siege weapons listed do all appear to be ranged weapons, so I suppose DEX would be a good stat to go with, but what about the question of adding proficiency bonus or not? It seems unreasonable to expect the party members individually to be proficient with the category of vehicle the siege weapon is attached to, especially because they can be standalone weapons on ramparts and such like that, but there is no mention of "siege weapon proficiency" either. I've ruled it that being sufficient in martial weapons would also cover siege weapons

2. Damage Thresholds. In the section of the Adventurer's Guide that talks about damage thresholds it does specifically mention "The armored hull of a skyship", however in the vehicles section there are neither thresholds nor features providing thresholds listed anywhere.

I'm just very curious why these sections would be included if they don't seem to be fleshed out the same way most of the rest of the book is. Even base 5e, which the rules read so similarly to I can only imagine they were the basis for much of this section, has more fully fleshed out rules for actions and damage thresholds. I'd love to see a GPG featuring a remastering of many of these features, because I think they can really add a lot of flavour and spice into combat. Curious what everyone else's thoughts are.

Personally, I wouldn't add Dex for hit and especially damage, as siege weapons are an entirely different thing. For proeficiency, I'd have a separate one (one cool thing about a5e is that there are explicit mechanics for learning new skills). So it may incentivize the players to look for some kind of trainer on how to better use the weapons on their ship.
For damage threshold, I'm unsure as I haven't run anything like that yet. I guess the rules will be flashed out much more in Voidrunners' Codex.

Remove ads