• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Urban Kingmaker

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
The PCs are in a mostly ruined city. There is a "King" but he only controls what he and his troops can reach.
They currently control 2 blocks, and are bordered by territory claimed by 2 street gangs and a pack of large magical cats. They want to slowly rebuild the city from the ground up, repairing buildings and bringing in new residents.

At least half of the Kingmaker rules deal with building a city districts, this seems like a good fit. One problem is population, they currently have about a dozen NPCs living in there area, the rules call for 250 per block.

I could solve this by having an existing group, with its own leadership move into the city, and have the PCs act as protectors/advisers (La MAD MAX)
What kinds of groups would move into a ruined city?

One PC is an ordained priest, and his religion could give him some starting BP,
but otherwise they are going to start with little.
There will be some 1/2 price building opportunities, ie if they clear an abandoned market, they can build one at reduced price.

Has anyone else tried this? any advice?

Wycen

Explorer
I think this subject came up here some months ago, but I don't remember how long ago and maybe it was RPG.net.

Archaeologists and their entourage could show up. This of course has the problem that they are excavating, sort of the opposite, but maybe their work can then be cooped by a group who uses their trenches to direct water or sewage through or out of the ruins.

Refugees from another disaster could also show up. Sure, it might suck living amongst rubble but it is better than being killed/imprisoned/dying from evil dictators/tsunamis/war. These people can provide labor plus cultural exchange.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I found a stable source of population increase!
* I remember that other thread.. I wonder if I can find a link.

Another party of adventures is raiding slave plantations, and rescuing the slaves, then dumping them in the city. in the American colonies "Planters" were defined as people owning 20+ slaves. In 1860, 20-30% of the slaves lived in plantations of 200+. Only 19 slave owners had 500 or more.

The other adventures contracted the PCs to help make sure the ex-slaves will survive. So for at least a while the population in the PCs area will be increasing by 20x to 300 a month.

Nobody else wants responsibility for them, as they have mostly agricultural skills that won't translate well to city life. Some of the tougher ones one will be recruited away by other gangs. The other adventures, will provide some seed money so they don't all starve.

I should look at refugee camps for inspiration. The end of American slavery is less useful, because there is no industrial revolution waiting to absorb them.

Lord Zack

Explorer
You could consider the two blocks to be "destroyed" until the PCs can rebuild. In this case the "rebuilding" might represent less construction work and more just preparing the buildings for human habitation and the logistical aspects of moving the people in.

Loonook

First Post
I'm kind of confused by the fact that your agricultural freemen are not going to be able to utilize surrounding farmland? Also, if it is an abandoned city you could easily convert old park space into farm land with a few plows.

The group is going to need food. Former slaves who are provided with land, protection from their former masters and their possible recapture, and wages for their skilled labor would be able to produce a nice amount of profit from the estate and make for a self-sufficient locale.

Slainte,

-Loonook.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
I'm kind of confused by the fact that your agricultural freemen are not going to be able to utilize surrounding farmland? Also, if it is an abandoned city you could easily convert old park space into farm land with a few plows.

The city is in ruins but still has people living in it. It even has relatively peaceful human only and dragonborn only areas, separated by walls and a river. Most of the farmland is already claimed. But your right about urban gardening. The city has some parks, but I didn't specifically put one in the PCs area. Converting one to farmland would be rebuilding (half price)

A park costs 4 BP for a single square, and farming an entire hex costs 2 or 4.
Farming the entire city hex would only generate 2 BP, so there should be a maximum.
Farm (4 BP) uses 2 city blocks. Generates 1 BP to pay consumption, max 2 per city.

Thanks!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads