• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Unearthed Arcana II (cancelled 1986 book)

I was browsing tsrarchive.com and came across information for a cancelled 1986 AD&D book - Unearthed Arcana II. They include text from the 1986 TSR catalog:

"A new hardcover compilation of new rules, character classes, and exciting adventure options, following in the tradition of last year's best-selling UNEARTHED ARCANA hardcover tome. This exciting compendium will form an indispensable part of any gamer's library. Containing new, never-before-published information as well as material that originally appeared in the pages of DRAGON Magazine and various TSR modules, this volume will provide hours of pleasure and entertainment for the legions of AD&D game fans."

They also have a scan of the cover, and that's what I'm most interested in. Anyone recognize that artwork? It's a bit hard to tell since it's a low-res image, but it looks like finished art to me rather than a mock-up. Just wondering if it might have seen use elsewhere.

Attachments

• add-1e-hb-ua2.jpg
    add-1e-hb-ua2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 433

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
They also have a scan of the cover, and that's what I'm most interested in. Anyone recognize that artwork? It's a bit hard to tell since it's a low-res image, but it looks like finished art to me rather than a mock-up. Just wondering if it might have seen use elsewhere.
The artwork does not look familiar to me, but it does look like Jeff Easley's style, and he was doing most (if not all) of the AD&D hardback covers at that time. Maybe someone could reach out to him and see if it is his art?

Edit: Considering the timeline, I wonder if the 1986 TSR Catalog was produced before Gary Gygax was removed from TSR (October 1985), and that Unearthed Arcana II was going to be more of his work? I know he had alluded to some classes (the Mystic and the Mountebank) that never materialized.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I haven't seen it elsewhere, but the art is definitely Jeff Easley.

As for material we never received...I suspect we shall never know.

Of course, it never hurts to...speculate.

Sacrosanct

Legend
In all likelihood it was shelved before the content was decided. So we didn't really miss out on anything. If one were to speculate, it would be to look at the NPC classes in Dragon from 85-86, and possible those more popular ones that never made it into the first one.

Since the first UA was a clear cash grab, it can be safely assumed this was too in desperate times for TSR

Remove ads