• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Ultimate Magic Playtesting to Start Next Week

mrfish

First Post
Is this the book that’s going to contain new rules for memorizing, perhaps replacing them with spell points? I've heard rumors of such a book coming out early 2011, but didn't see much referring to that in the description.

joela

First Post
Is this the book that’s going to contain new rules for memorizing, perhaps replacing them with spell points? I've heard rumors of such a book coming out early 2011, but didn't see much referring to that in the description.

No spell points as far as I know.

Last edited:

Kvantum

First Post
This is just going to be a playtest of the Magus class, nothing more. (Fighter/mage - don't call it a g-i-s-h 'cause githyanki aren't OGC!) Maybe a new system for mana points, but I would not get my hopes up, at all.

Walking Dad

First Post
Paizo[URL="http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8g7s" said:
viewpost.gif
[/URL]]Brand new “words of power” alternative magic system
New system, yes, but it doesn't sound like spellpoints.

This is just going to be a playtest of the Magus class, nothing more. (Fighter/mage - don't call it a g-i-s-h 'cause githyanki aren't OGC!) Maybe a new system for mana points, but I would not get my hopes up, at all.
Paizo[URL="http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/p/paizoPublishingLLC/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/v5748btpy8g7s" said:
viewpost.gif
[/URL]]The Magus, a brand-new 20-level base class that mixes wizardry with martial skill
That is all what I know. Where do you get from that it is like a fighter/mage? They already have a prestige class for those.

Last edited:

Skeld

First Post
Where do you get from that it is like a fighter/mage? They already have a prestige class for those.

The developers on Paizo's boards have been feeding the rumormill for a while now about a 1-20 level fighter-mage base class. A vocal sub-set of Paizo posters haven't been satisfied with a multiclass build that prestiges into Eldritch Knight and have been demanding a g-i-s-h since the core rules went to beta. James or Jason mentioned some time ago that the base class they were thinking of adding would be called a "Magus," which some liked and some hated.

Sorry, I don't have time to link up references to Paizo's board, but you can find the info with a small amount of digging over there.

-Skeld

EDIT: Ok, I did some digging for you. Magus is mentioned in the second bullet on Paizo's Ultimate Magic product page. To quote, "The Magus, a brand-new 20-level base class that mixes wizardry with martial skill." hope that helps.

Last edited:

Philosopher

First Post
Something just occurred to me. I wonder if the magus will use regular magic or the new words of power system. Ah well, we'll find out soon enough.

Shisumo

First Post
Something just occurred to me. I wonder if the magus will use regular magic or the new words of power system. Ah well, we'll find out soon enough.
Word is, the words of power system will be a Vancian variant, so any spellcasting class from the core PF rules will be able to use it. So far, though, we've had very few hints as to what is involved with it, so there's not much more info available yet.

Philosopher

First Post
Word is, the words of power system will be a Vancian variant, so any spellcasting class from the core PF rules will be able to use it. So far, though, we've had very few hints as to what is involved with it, so there's not much more info available yet.

Sweet. I like the sound of that.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I seem to recall from Gen Con that the Paizo guys said that the Magus in this book would be the last base class they publish.

Here's to no more (first-party) base class bloat! Fifteen base classes (plus five NPC classes) is enough!

Now to go buy some more Super Genius Games base classes. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads